Farewell Beautiful Island


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Pulau Tioman
March 17th 2007
Published: April 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We waited at the ABC jetty (Ayer Batang) for some time in the early morning to catch our boat back to the mainland. Admiring the views for one final time, crystal clear turquoise waters, tropical vegetation and small hilly peaks covered in fir trees. A lovely cat came to say farewell, hoping a few fish might come its way. An idyllic unspoilt island, not commercialised where the locals still continue their traditional ways of life. It took a short 1 hour and 15 minutes to reach the mainland. We would definitely visit Tioman again, perhaps visiting Juara next time, on the opposite side, with its' beautiful tranquil stretch of beach with white sands - a perfect hideaway.

We managed to find a small snack at the bus terminal that looked both edible yet hygienic. Then we caught our 4 hour bus to Singapore (which incidentally was late - Ellie had a few conversations with the ticket office to try & determine if the service was still running).

A very interesting ride (one never to repeat), a child going to toilet on board several times - no facilities present! We had to get off the bus twice to pass through
The BeachThe BeachThe Beach

Crystal clear waters, white sand, rocky coves - a tropical paradise....
immigration, and had to explain to the driver that we would be likely to take longer passing through immigration being foreigners. In good faith, we disembarked hoping that the driver would wait for us on the other side, as all our belongings were stored inside the luggage hold. As we returned all the passengers were waiting for us, with animated expressions.

Eventually we arrived at our destination, Singapore, around 6pm. Very hot and sweltering as we caught the local bus (scrambling around for some change). Fortunately a very kind lady on the bus gave us the fare. She said that we would then remember Singapore as a warm-hearted country - very true! The bus had a 'good faith system', where you are expected to put the correct fare for your journey inside one of the fare money pots on-board, not sure that would work back home! Then we walked to our hostel called the 'In Crowd', in the stifling heat with our heavy backpacks. Placed in a separate hostel around the corner from the main hostel, in the hub of Little India. We met a friendly English bloke who continuously left talcum powder around the hostel, as suffering from athletes foot - a lovely experience!

Glad we were not upstairs in the multi-sex room, consisting of 16 people with a few party-lovers included, they tend to cram them in over here. Our room was very livable, although half finished with a few wires hanging out! Situated centrally to the hustle and bustle outside, starving we decided to make our way towards the Countryside café. A welcome relief, cheesy gratin, similar to a cheese soup, veggie burger - very reasonable for a traveller's budget. Loving the city life here with a fantastic transport network.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb