Last few weeks in Kuantan


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Kuantan
July 15th 2006
Published: August 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dig in!Dig in!Dig in!

Many of our family meals out have been in Chinese run restaurants with dish after dish served until we're stuffed to the gills. Good food, just so much of it!
Our last two weeks in Malaysia have kept us busier than we have been in a long while; mind you it hasn’t been hard to do as we have been fairly slothful. We enjoyed our time visiting with Jo’s brother Chai and his daughter Kim, both in from Australia, as well Jo’s parents, brother Cheng Poh and sister Sue Ann. As you might imagine, lots of eating involved there. That along with trips to the beach, the shops, a friend’s batik shop/factory, and various other chores around town have kept us pretty busy. We celebrated Pa’s 76th birthday at a large banquet with lots of friends and family. There were so many courses that by the end you are just stuffed and can’t really eat another bite, at least for say…another hour; after all, it is Chinese food, right?

A month and a half goes by more quickly than you think, especially when you keep thinking you have all the time in the world. There were a few things we wanted to do and places we wanted to go that we didn’t get in before we left, but oh, well; maybe next time. One major achievement was that we got
the family portrait...the family portrait...the family portrait...

Jo's family was finally all together for the first time in 20 years
a family photo with everyone in it, the first one for Jo’s family with everybody for more than twenty years. We all got dressed up and went to a photography studio that has been in the center of town for decades. It all went rather quickly and painlessly, after which we headed off to the banquet for Jo’s dad.

After a little frantic late-night packing, Jo and I finally got our luggage and copious amounts of gifts the kids had been given packed up and out of the condo ready for our morning bus trip to KL on Friday, July 14th. We were sad to leave Jo’s family, but eager to move on to the next phase of our trip. Jo’s parents wanted us to leave the kids behind with them. It was tempting, but we declined. I’m sure the kids would have had fun, but we insisted that they come with us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Kong kong and his grandkidsKong kong and his grandkids
Kong kong and his grandkids

Jo's dad with Chai's daughter Kim and Viv and Will
Fook Yew!Fook Yew!
Fook Yew!

Yeah, we spotted this in town and couldn't pass it up without a pic.
Batik factoryBatik factory
Batik factory

The first step of placing hot wax on the cloth before dying it. Notice the variety of blocks hanging in the background.
Dying the batikDying the batik
Dying the batik

A Malay girl dying the cloth in the second stage of batik making. This particular pattern will eventually be for a hotel uniform.
Viv's batik effortViv's batik effort
Viv's batik effort

The kids got a chance to try their hand at batik making. Looks good!
The Ang men and meThe Ang men and me
The Ang men and me

Three Angs and an "ang maw" (me..the one in the back!)
Kite flying at the beachKite flying at the beach
Kite flying at the beach

Uncle Chai helps Will with his kite in the air at the beach below Temebeling
Leaving KuantanLeaving Kuantan
Leaving Kuantan

The kids with their Popo and Kong-kong waiting for our bus to KL at the Kuantan bus terminal
Will's lessonWill's lesson
Will's lesson

Will get's a lesson on shooting rubberbands from his Kong-kong


7th August 2006

Busy, Busy
Wow! You all have done a lot since the last time you put up a blog. Too bad that I could not come over and visit... would be lots of fun and I would learn a lot, I bet. Anyway... hope you all are having a great time.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb