Beer? No, have a cuppa instead :-)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
June 10th 2012
Published: September 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The way to Cameron Highlands was stunning – lush green scenery of partially preserved jungle and palm tree plantations. When we got closer to Tanah Rata Town it suddenly got very crowded and we quickly understood that this place was also a very popular place for locals. The two of the guesthouses that we had in mind were full so we had to walk a little bit further on to finally find a room in KRS Pines Guesthouse (40RMB/13$ per room). It was still relatively close to the center so we did not mind. We left our bags and went to check what options of activities we had in this place. Of course we wanted to do some trekking but also we heard bout the amazing Mossy Forest and Prime Jungle so we wanted to check that too. There is plenty of agencies around to offer their service and their prices range from each other. Once again we ended up booking a tour with Kong Tours(same as we used for all transport so far) and our day tour was involve Tea Plantation, Mossy Forest, Mountain and some Butterfly Home (50RMB/17$ per person).

When walking around we saw how many options of food they had in this town. As for being huge food lovers we love Malaysia so far haha We settled for some nice parantas and of course a cup of local, good and fresh tea. I am a coffee person but this tea tasted fabulous. We had to wake up quite early in the morning and we headed straight to the nearby restaurant to have some breakfast. We located it the previous evening (always had to know where the food is hahha) and we just could not wait for what they had in offer. We both found what we were really craving for – porridge with fruit for Tomek and mixed-fruit homemade pancake for me - yummy. This restaurant is managed by two lovely deaf people who were the nicest ever to us. We left them tips every time we ate there;-)

We were taken first to the biggest Tea Plantation and factory in the region – Sungai Palas Boh Tea Estate - where we could get to the viewing platform and also have some tea in their shop. We have been to the plantation before in Sri Lanka so the production process was not foreign to us but we must admit that landscape wise this place was much more beautiful. Everywhere you look are kilometers of hills covered with tea trees – lush green and looking fabulous. We normally don’t get excited with things we have seen before but this was quite something. Next they took us to the mountain top so that we could admire a panoramic view of Cameron Highlands and then finally we were taken to the depths of the 3000 year old Mossy Forest. We got lost there with our imagination working and creating the ‘Lord-of-the Rings’ scenarios of what may have happened here. It was stunning, gross (as all forest floor is soaked like a sponge and covered with moss), bizarrely different and scary ;-) But loved it, loved it, loved it!!! We did not get to see any of the giant plants they promise you to see but nevertheless it was amazing.

We also had some minor stop at the strawberry farm which charged more for a kg of fruit than in any of the western countries (13$ per kg) even though they just grow them there. We bought some but they were actually very bitter and not nice – I guess there is not enough sun it this valley for them to see sweet. At the end we were to see the butterfly house and we were really reluctant to even go inside but man, we are so happy we did. We got to see so many jungle species (not just butterflies) that we can’t even describe. It is very informative and well displayed selection of forest creatures that are just astonishing. Worth a stop in the end.

Next day after the same fabulous breakfast we decided to do the trekking and follow one of the very well market trails to some other tea plantations. This time we bought a map as we did not want to repeat our story from Dragon Backbone Terraces in China hahha We walked the trail 9A until we found a note on the gate from other travelers that they would not recommend doing it as it was considered dangerous. We decided to follow other trail and get to the Boh Tea Plantation by road instead. We were quite disappointed as we walked and walked and walked for what seemed like forever and we could not see anything special. There were signs the entire time showing: ‘Tea Plantation 5km’ and then few km later again same sign. We finally made it and the view was exceptional. We climbed to the top for best views and then had well deserved cup of tea and cake in their restaurant. We asked the waiter how many kilometers to town and we got - 12km… WOW. We were really tired from this up and down the hills adventure but we had another 12km to go. There were no buses or taxis going just private cars and they were always full ;-( We decided to walk a little bit and then try to hitchhike but somehow we managed to walk all the way back home ;-) What a workout and what a view;-)

We decided to treat ourselves with yummy tandori and dosa in Indian restaurant and of course another cup of tea;-) This place reminded us of any other mountain retreat we have ever been to – tours, lots of fruit and souvenir stalls with woodcarving, hats and gloves. The atmosphere was nice and even though it was quite touristy we totally enjoyed it. We found a balance between tourist attractions and DIY day of trekking which felt nice. We had to move on to the capital soon so we visited Kong Tours office again and booked ourselves a minivan to KL. This agency is so nice that they would even run a minivan for as few as 4 people for a standard price (30RMB/10$). There is a public bus as well but it takes much more time and won’t drop you at the hotel of your choice (cost the same money).


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

in the Mossy Forestin the Mossy Forest
in the Mossy Forest

3000 year old scary park;-)


15th September 2012

I went to school in Tanah Rata from 1966-68...
and loved exploring the jungles and even visited the Boh Tea Estate. Thanks for the memories!
8th March 2013

You continue to find some great bargains.
Fantastic photo!! [photo=7161455]

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb