Baba Nyonya and Jewelry Museums


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
December 13th 2014
Published: February 5th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Baba Nyonya museum and the Straights Chinese Jewelry museum are located close to each other, just one block off of Jonker Street. Both are well worth a visit, though the jewelry museum will probably be less crowded.

The Baba Nyonya museum is in 3 old houses that are still owned by the original family! Baba Nyonya refers to a specific group of people in Melaka. Over one hundred years ago, Melaka was a huge trade port and over 80 languages were spoken! During this time, many men came from China (Baba) and married local women (Nyonya), resulting in families that still maintain a special culture to this day. One of these families lived in these three houses/museum. The family still uses the house for big gatherings, so personal touches are throughout the; it feels more like a home than a museum. (Well, except for the coffee shop and hostel.) The tour is only in the middle house, but it's quite detailed and gives you a pretty good idea what life was like when the family lived there.

After having coffee with someone I met on the tour, I walked up the street to the jewelry museum. It was less busy and as a result I got a personal tour! My tour guide was happy to answer all of my questions, as well as explain a few pieces in great detail--some of these included items from the wedding night! (Ahem!) While many of the clothes and jewelry aren't practical in the slightest, they're all exquisite and make one dream of a different time. All of the jewelry, shoes, and clothes were nothing short of gorgeous. It would have certainly been fun to wear them! And unlike the Baba Nyonya museum I was able to take a few photos, which always makes me happy.

Feeling happy and sleepy, I decided to stop for a quick snack before heading back to my hostel for an afternoon nap.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

CourtyardCourtyard
Courtyard

Rain water collects in a fountain below. It's supposed to bring good luck and fortune.
The lanterns have a meaning!The lanterns have a meaning!
The lanterns have a meaning!

One says the family name, one says their trade. It's like the equivalent of a street address.
BeltBelt
Belt

Someone had a tiny waist
Down the streetDown the street
Down the street

I like cool doors


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb