DAY EIGHT


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
October 14th 2011
Published: October 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today was the day that I proved I would be a formidable team member on the Amazing Race.

I got up a little earlier than usual, had a light breakfast at the hotel, and then caught the 8:30 bus to KL. The first two hours were incredibly windy. After that it was mostly highway. We got to KL around 1:15. I thought it would be a simple transfer within the train station to get the bus to Melakka. No. I get off the bus and then have to ask for help several times. Mind you that this bus station was an indoor area, though rather modern, with no air conditioning. Turned out, I have to take KL’s version of the metro about seven stops to get to the correct train station. Then I can catch the bus to Melakka. Somehow I did this in under an hour and was able to take the 2:30 bus. The above paragraph is short and doesn’t sound hard but it was—especially with the heat, being in a new city, and having my backpack to lug around. I was quite proud of myself for figuring it all out without any major mishaps or having to take a taxi.

I got to my hotel around 5:00PM—so it was a long day of travel. I am staying at a boutique hotel—very posh. My favorite so far. The only downside is that it is a bit out of the way from the main downtown area. This will not deter me! I decided to make the most of the daylight and explore around the area and get some dinner. I ended up walking into town (flip flops were NOT the correct shoe choice today)—which took about a half hour. The roads had good sidewalks and it was very safe—so I just kept walking.

Melakka is another former trade hub and was occupied most notably by the Dutch and the Portuguese. I wondered how Penang (the other former port city I visited) would be different from Melakka. The feel is quite a bit different and they have different offerings—so I am glad I came here as well. I ended up going to the Maritime museum which was is housed in an old ship and was quite interesting and explained Melakka’s history in reference to how ports, trade, conquering, war, etc. occurred back several hundred years ago. I then walked over to Jonkers Street in Chinatown which is best known for its night market. This was a lot of fun. I bought my first souvenirs in Malaysia—three pairs of earrings for $3USD! Don’t worry, I have time set aside in KL for souvenir/gift shopping. They had a lot of trinket and food stalls along the street. They were also having a karaoke contest tonight. Also there were two separate Chinese temple type places (the best way to describe it is a smaller cultural hall with doors that are large and face the street) where Chinese ladies were practicing their line dancing. It was quite the sight.

The best part of my night was dinner. Juice of the day: fresh apple and pineapple—an interesting combo but good. My guidebook recommended 8 dishes, and I tried three tonight. My main course was Laksa soup (http://malaysiandelicacies.blogspot.com/2007/08/laksa-lemak-nyonya.html). I also had a chicken rice ball (basically a rice ball with a chicken flavor) both were excellent. The piece de resistance was dessert: Cendol. A bowl of finely shaved ice, red beans, a syrup of coconut milk and sweetened palm sugar, and cendol which is a soft, green starchy noodle 2 cm in length. Amazing. I will be having another one tomorrow.

After that it was too late to walk back and my feet were hurting I took a taxi back (only $7USD). I got settled and washed clothes for two more days. (I thought this hotel had laundry, but it doesn’t, so I will have to wait until my next stop). Right now my clothes are hanging over my balcony just like everyone here does in Malaysia. Really, when you drive by houses and apartment complexes, everyone has their clothes hanging out.

I have decided that I will not be going to Taman Negara, the national park, after the conference. After doing my own research and talking with the Dutch couple yesterday (who had gone) I think I have seen all of the Malaysian wildlife and nature I will have wanted to see and will have done all the jungle hiking I have wanted to do. The national park is quite out of the way—so I don’t really think it is worth the time and effort. I think I will stay in KL the 3 extra days. My plan now is to get to KL late Sunday evening, spend Monday doing laundry and exploring the area, conference Tuesday-Thursday, sightseeing Friday and Saturday, church and final shopping on Sunday and then head up to the airport hotel Sunday night. I don’t think I’ll try to make it to church here as the public transportation isn’t as extensive—I think it will be easier in KL. Also, I will likely stay at the same hotel the extra days in KL, but not sure and will keep you posted.

Anyhow—about half way done! A full day planned of sightseeing and eating in Melakka for tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb