Mellow in Melaka (Malacca)


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
October 3rd 2011
Published: October 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We knew coming to Malacca was going to be a slower pace of life and that it was. We spent 2 nights there wondering after the first afternoon what we were going to do. We managed to find enough walking around the UNESCO Heritage Village and Chinatown but wouldn’t recommend more than 2 nights here unless you want a lot of relaxation on your trip. We were able to add to our Asian art collection with a handmade wooden Malay mask. This part of Malaysia was settled by the Dutch and Portuguese, all the red buildings in Malacca were built by the Dutch. This is also the first place we have ever been that is a Muslim country, which means we hear prayers on the speakers across town 5 times per day.

Highlights of Malacca

-Quiet little river town
-Swam at Mahkota Resort pool
-Bike ride and dinner with Ringo’s Foyer Guesthouse
- Ate Laksa, Chicken Rice Ball, Nasi Lemak & Pineapple Tarts (my favorite)

3.5 hr Bus Ride on nice AC bus with LOTS of leg room = $22 Singapore Dollars/$16 USD each from Queen Street Bus station near Bugis MTR stop and dropped us at Malacca Sentral Bus Station (lots of jungle from Singapore to Malacca, but the roads are smooth)

2 nights Double Room with AC & Shared Bathroom at Ringo’s Royer Guesthouse = 84 Malaysian Ringgits (RM) = $24USD (one of the less comfortable beds we have slept on)

1 hr and 45 min bus ride from Malacca Sentral to Kuala Lumpur TBS station 9.2 RM=$2.65USD, again a very clean and comfortable bus ride



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



15th November 2012
Dutch Water Wheel

Malaysia, a wonderful country and with very nice people!
OMG, the water wheel we been yesterday at Melaka! If you love this city you definately have to go to Buenos Aires, San Telmo, it is very groovy and a lot of heritage over there!!!!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb