Saya orang Belanda, dia orang China.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
October 27th 2009
Published: October 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

08 - 10 October



When we arrived in Melaka / Malacca by bus from Mersing it was already late afternoon. We had checked the web beforehand and had already decided we wanted to stay in Chinatown, opposed to the area further down where most guesthouses are centralised.
It takes a bit of searching to find something affordable in China town, but we succeeded and got a room at the Cheng Hoon hotel. Nice place, large foyer to hang out in or use wi-fi. Most evenings there were a bunch of 'old' Asian people chatting each other up in Chinglish with the usual amount of 'lah's' included.
It's so funny to hear these people of around the same age (70-ish) from different parts of Asia speak this universal language that is understood by so many people in the world nowadays.
There was a Japanese man who, so he told me, hadn't retired but was on eternal holiday. Another man from Thailand who kept trying to get the others to go out and drink a few. I'm sure by the sounds of it he wasn't only out for drinks, a local girl would suit him well too! Then a woman of Indian
Chinese charactersChinese charactersChinese characters

Cheng Hoon Teng temple
decent from Singapore who was there for the weekend and was happily chatting up the two men.
All very entertaining to listen to and get an insight view of how people of that kinda age communicate in this part of the world...

Dinner was had in Jonker street, we choose a place that served a variety of chicken chops; pieces of chicken (not entirely boneless) dipped in butter and then deep fried, served with steamed rice, green veggies, a fried egg on top and a sauce. These sauces were what gave the variety to the chicken chops. Ranging from butter sauce, black pepper sauce to 'special Malay sauce' and lemon sauce.
All very delicious and at 5 RM a chop, dirt cheap! Hence we went back 3 - 4 times.

Jonker street (aka Jalan Hang Jebat) and parallel running Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock are the biggest attraction in Melaka next to the Dutch and Portugese history. The whole area of China town is like an art gallery actually. Zhu loved it, and although I had been here before, (I took the ferry to Dumai, Indonesia here in December 2006, see my previous blogs) I love it too!
It's such a pleasure to meander around taking in the sights and smells and feasting your eyes on all the goods for sale. A lot of wood craft, really a lot of it! One shop we went in, oh wow, I could have just bought the lot! In fact better yet, leave it there, I'll move in! Beautiful art work, from animals to miniature pagodas, the budda's and shiva's all delicately carved out and then there'sthe furniture shops...
How would I love to live in a house with bamboo furniture!
Yeah, Zhu decided if he would move to Malaysia, Melaka would be the place to be!

We only had Friday half a day and both Saturday and Sunday, so we wanted to see loads but in the end didn't get up to too much. That Saturday we checked out the Dutch church and Stadthuys (town hall) with the neighbouring museum. Hadn't been there a few years ago and it was actually really interesting. Lots of displays of clothing in the different era's, maps charting the territories belonging to each (then) empire and so on. At one place they had a bedroom from the Dutch era I think it was, complete with blue satin covers. Of course you weren't allowed in, and of course we did... Just a quick snap of the camera with Zhu sitting on the bed, you know...
The afternoon we did a bit of shopping at the Mahkota parade shopping centre, seeing that Zu still had coupons from Kuala Lumpur to spend, worth 70 RM in total.
We also tried something new; fish spa. For 20 RM a head lasting 15 minutes, our feet were going to get eaten by fish. Sounded like a good idea, so paid, took our sandals off,washed the dirt of out feet and placed them in a large glass cubicle of water filled with little fish.
Incredibly tickly at first, but later on getting more comfortable, these fish originating from Indonesia (only) basically eat away the dead tissue of your skin leaving behind wonderful, soft skin.
If you're walking around the river area, do try this, it's a great experience. We loved it anyhow.
That evening we went to a club of which I forgot the name unfortunately. Great place, full of the young and hip (and rich) of 2009 Malaysia. Situated on two floors, of which the lower one is dedicated to loud bass music and the upper to a little more mellow, rock kinda music. (which includes Kelly Clarkson and the likes). Outside seating area, and beers not extremely expensive. Good place! Too bad it closed at 2 am, we were just getting into it...

That Sunday my lymph gland was really swollen and hurting, but I didn't want to leave Zhu by himself. Not really knowing what to do or where to go, we went to the local zoo.
Nice enough with loads of indigenous animals (love the tapir!) and birds.
The evening Zhu had me lay in bed and rest while he walked around Jonker street a bit more.
With lots of water and medicine I felt better the next day, ready to head back to KL...

With only one night left in KL (together that is) we relaxed and kept to ourselves. Had claypot chicken the one night and steamed fish the other.
Sad to see him go, I took Zhu via Pasar Seni MRT station to KL Sentral, where he boarded the new KLIA transit. Not knowing how soon we were going to meet up again, we said our goodbye's and agreed we had a great time in Malaysia! Next country? Thailand or Laos perhaps?

I stayed on for 2 more days sort of waiting for my flight onwards to Borneo that I had booked a few days previous. Didn't do much; been there, done that. I really love Kuala Lumpur though, and I'm sure I'll be back one day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

dinner at Jonker streetdinner at Jonker street
dinner at Jonker street

We ate here 3 times, love the various chicken chop's for 5 RM!
Zhu and gaurZhu and gaur
Zhu and gaur

at Melaka zoo
Stunning!Stunning!
Stunning!

Melaka zoo


Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 25; qc: 99; dbt: 0.0964s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb