Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
May 9th 2006
Published: June 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Had our complimentary breakfast at the hotel and took the hotel shuttle into Macau. Did a walking tour of old Macau, which was beautiful. We started at the A-Ma Temple, dedicated to A-Ma, the goddess of seafarers. We went to a lot of old churches, including Sao (Saint) Lourenco, Sao Domingos, Sao Antonio, and others. Saw the Moorish Barracks, the ruins of Sao Paolo (all that remains is the façade, but you can also go into the catacombs), Na Tcha Temple and the remnants of the old city wall. Went up to the Mount Fortress, an old fort on top of a hill with a great view of the island, and also where the Museu de Macau is (we skipped the museum). Walked through the Old Protestant Church and cemetery, which was pretty cool—all the old headstones, mostly of people in the maritime business and sailors. A lot of them were from New England (many from Massachusetts), New York, and England, but there were people from all over. Took a leisurely stroll through Camões Garden, which was beautiful. Lots of people just hanging out, playing games, walking on the reflexology path—we tried it but it hurt our feet so bad we couldn’t go more than a couple steps. A lot of elderly people were hanging out at the park and when we tried the reflexology path a couple of women were watching us and when we couldn’t bare it anymore they kinda laughed at us…they were very cute. Walked through Largo do Senado several times, a sort of central shopping area full of colonial buildings. Had some natas (egg custard tarts or daan tad in Chinese) and coffee for a late afternoon snack. Walked to the Lisboa Casino and looked around inside, but didn’t play, and then checked out the lobby of Hotel Lisboa. They were like something out of an early seventies James Bond movie (sorry, no photos). Walked to the Sands Casino and played for a while. It looked like a futuristic spaceship or something like that...very hard to describe, but it’s one of the new Vegas-style casinos in Macau, i.e. huge, modern, and very swanky. We got hungry so we went to Fisherman’s Warf (very odd place, like a theme park for adults, built on reclaimed land) to look for a restaurant but didn’t find one that appealed to us. Fisherman’s Warf had a volcano, a model ancient Rome, rides, and some other mismatched attractions. We went back to the Sands for dinner at Capo Steakhouse. Played some more and headed back to the hotel. If anyone’s curious, we came out even and had a good evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th June 2006

beautiful city
The pictures are amazing!

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb