A little bit of Communism, Catholicism and Gambling


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
April 14th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ruins of St. PaulsRuins of St. PaulsRuins of St. Pauls

An iconic landmark of Macau; it was burned down in 1835, leaving only the South stone facade stands up. The facade brings a rich blend of western and eastern elements.
Macau -

Most Americans would raise their eyebrows upon hearing the name. For us, Macau is almost as exotic as secluded Timbuktu or legendary El Dorado, but in reality, it is more accessible than those two aforementioned places.

Unfortunately, Macau is not going to be on traveler’s top list places to visit anytime soon. Its proximate location to mega polis Hong Kong dwarfs the importance of this region - and one can’t help but comparing Macau with Hong Kong. Yet, Macau holds many fascinating gems that are worth checking out - UNESCO just added its thirty historical structures and plazas into the World’s Heritage Sites in 2005.

The one hour ferry ride from Hong Kong Island to Macau Peninsula was uneventful, and I was greeted with its two official languages of Cantonese Chinese and Portuguese at the immigration. It was an interesting welcome especially if you understand neither languages - and it seemed that not many people in Macau understand English.

UNESCO describes Macau to be the lucrative port of China and a long lasting testimonial between the East and the West, a humble description to illustrate the richness of its history and culture.

Macau used
Gondola driverGondola driverGondola driver

Uhm, ok - a female gondola driver.
to be one of the few Portuguese colonies in Asia. The Portuguese traders landed and established a trading port in late 16th century and in 1999, Macau was turned over back to the Mainland and became one of the two Special Administrative Regions of China besides its counterpart of Hong Kong.

From what I’ve read, Macau citizens are enjoying their privileges of having the prestigious European Union citizenships through Portugal, something that Hong Kong citizens didn’t get from Great Britain when it was turned over back to the Mainland two years prior to Macau’s. As the result, many Macau citizens are moving to their European cousin and legally working throughout the European Union.

The Portuguese has left Macau with many western legacies; the peninsula is littered by many religious facilities, notable those of Jesuit Order Catholicism churches -Ruins of St Paul’s (Macau’s most famous landmark that was burned down except its southern stone façade in 1835), Churches of St. Dominic’s, St. Lawrence’s, and St. Augustine’s to name a few. As the result, Macau is one of the most important sites in Asia for Christianity, with many Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese martyrs that are associated with Christendom buried in
Largo do SenadoLargo do SenadoLargo do Senado

Black and white stripey of Largo do Senado, one of the 31 sites in Macau recognized by UNESCO as world's heritage.
churches and cemeteries throughout the city.

With many Jesuit churches around Macau, I wonder how many locals are devoted Catholic. The ratio of people inside versus outside Catholic compounds are staggering numbers - only a handful locals and even less tourists are lingering inside these spacious facilities, while the narrow streets are crowded with locals doing some shopping or hanging out around its cobbled stone plazas.

Moseying around the city, I realized how precious the land in Macau is. High rise apartment buildings out proportioned the city’s narrow streets that give the chaos look of a typical Asian city - dirty walls, caged windows and drying clothes on bamboo sticks, hanging over the streets from a tiny balcony overlooking another apartment.

Although majority of UNESCO sites in Macau are associated with Jesuit Order churches, there are other sites that has nothing to do with Catholicism - The old fortification complex of Monte Fort from where you can view Macau from its highest point, the Moorish Barrack that was designed by an Italian architect in late 1800s for police recruit training, and the ancient A-Ma temple which is titled to be the oldest surviving structure in Macau.
Grand Lisboa from Monte FortGrand Lisboa from Monte FortGrand Lisboa from Monte Fort

This is how I feel about the golden Grand Lisboa Hotel/Casino. Ready, set, FIRE!

Despite of hosting many churches, the city is far from holiness. Macau is also associated with gambling, due to its role in being the only place in China where throwing the dice for money is legal. They recently opened The Venetian Macao - one of the largest casinos in the world, with more than 350 shops and restaurants situated in many canals and malls with Italian Venice theme (and of course there is a huge casino with thousands of machines and tables filled up with exciting gamblers, smack in the middle of the complex). Walking around the Venetian Macao is an overwhelming experience; it is three times bigger than its Las Vegas counterpart and so big that ninety Boeing-747s would fit in the site.

So there is no surprise to see many people from the Mainland China flock into the peninsula to be legally gambling in Macau’s many casinos. And this was where I concluded my short journey in Macau before heading back to Hong Kong and subsequent trip back to the States.




Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Macau street sceneMacau street scene
Macau street scene

A typical narrow Macau alley, notice the out of proporsion golden Grand Lisboa Hotel/Casino in the background.
Chinese KeyboardChinese Keyboard
Chinese Keyboard

Hum it might be very complicated to write a letter in traditional Chinese characters.
Letter boxesLetter boxes
Letter boxes

Residential Macau.
Decorated Macau sidewalkDecorated Macau sidewalk
Decorated Macau sidewalk

Macau sidewalks are decorated with detailed black and white mozaic designs.
Nostalgic MacauNostalgic Macau
Nostalgic Macau

A historical Coca Cola sign in front of Largo do Senado, Macau.
Apartment buildings in 'downtown' MacauApartment buildings in 'downtown' Macau
Apartment buildings in 'downtown' Macau

Macau is a little bit dirtier than my expectation.
Grand Lisboa from Monte FortGrand Lisboa from Monte Fort
Grand Lisboa from Monte Fort

I am posed with Grand Lisboa.
Ruins of St. PaulsRuins of St. Pauls
Ruins of St. Pauls

A distinctive landmark of Macau.
Macau style beef jerkyMacau style beef jerky
Macau style beef jerky

Those are yummy!
ShrineShrine
Shrine

A humble shrine in a street corner of Macau.
A distinctive black and white stripesA distinctive black and white stripes
A distinctive black and white stripes

A reminiscence of Rio de Janeiro, but with some Chinese twist in Largo do Senado, Macau.
Largo do Senado fountainLargo do Senado fountain
Largo do Senado fountain

A reminiscence of Rio de Janeiro, but with some Chinese twist in Largo do Senado, Macau.
A typical Macau street sceneA typical Macau street scene
A typical Macau street scene

Stacks of many apartment units.
Moorish BarracksMoorish Barracks
Moorish Barracks

It is designed by an Italian architect, and one of the 30 structures in Macau that are recognized by UNESCO as world's heritage.
A-Ma TempleA-Ma Temple
A-Ma Temple

This is the oldest surviving structure in Macau, it was used to be located at the waterfront before modern land reclamation.
A-Ma TempleA-Ma Temple
A-Ma Temple

This temple is dedicated to A-Ma, a little Chinese girl who protected a poor fisherman during sea storm. Thus this rock carving is commemorating the legendary event.
Dragon style bollardDragon style bollard
Dragon style bollard

Look at the Lessie bollard design!


24th April 2008

Qinghai Tour
Qinghai is an important livestock breeding center. Its livestock includes sheep, yaks, pian niu (crossbreed of bulls and yaks) and horses. Qinghai produces large quantities of sheep wool, meat, leather and sausage casings for other parts of the country. It is an important producer of medicinal materials such as caterpillar fungus, antlers, musk and rhubarb. Qinghai Lake is famous for its scale less naked carp. The province grows spring wheat, highland barley, broad beans, potatoes and rapeseed.
24th April 2008

Hello
Hello Halef, it is always great to see your blog. i can say now that i know a little more about Asia thanks to you and your detailed explanations of the places you visit. i also saw your previous blog about Singapore , i was a little concerned in the beginning but i am happy to know that your Dad is doing fine. i am sure it was nice to see your family.we live so far away from each other and it is unfortunate that we have to see each other in those moments. i specially like the picture where all of you are together. again thank you for the experience. talia

Tot: 0.387s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 27; qc: 134; dbt: 0.1757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb