Viva Macau... China's Vegas


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
February 17th 2007
Published: February 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We caught the Turbojet, which is a massive catamaran that hurtles over the water, from Hong Kong over to Macau. Macau is on the mainland of China but until 1999 was under Portuguese rule. It was pretty interesting with a mix of Portuguese and Chinese architecture and culture but the big thing these days is gambling. Casinos are not legal in Hong Kong so Macau is the equivalent of Vegas here and they were big, brashy and multilevel! One even had dancing girls behind the bar on the 1st of 4 levels but cameras were banned so you’ll have to take my word for it.

During the day we did a walking tour around the city and saw interesting buildings, churches and a public garden. In the centre of town they had New Year celebrations with lion and dragon dances, music and the biggest pile of firecrackers to let off. We checked out the massive Macau tower and Mick talked me into bungy-jumping off it. This is the highest bungy in the world at 233m and allows you to reach speeds of 200km/hour but is operated by AJ Hackett the godfather of bungy and operated by Aussies and NZ'ders so we felt pretty safe... until standing out on a limb about to drop off a ridiculous height! It was fantastic though (after the initial look down!).



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Macau TowerMacau Tower
Macau Tower

Oh my goodness...what were we thinking jumping off this???


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb