Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau » Taipa Island
July 9th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tallest Building in MacauTallest Building in MacauTallest Building in Macau

We were told that this is where people bungee jump from!
We departed Hong Kong today for Macau. It took us about an hour to get to Macau on the ferry. We again had to go through immigration, because Macau is also a special administrative region. It was given back to mainland China, from Portugal, in 1999. Macau is known for its gambling which I experienced first hand today.

The students were given a lecture on gambling and culture in Macau at the University of Macau. It is interesting to think that 80% of Macau's revenue comes from gambling, and its 32 casinos. After lecture, I had Portuguese food for dinner. The Portuguese have excellent desserts. I had a vanilla type pudding with crushed cookies. I also sampled some almond cookies.

After dinner, I went to two casinos. The Venetian was my favorite, but we also visited the newest casino in Macau called the Galaxy. I have a new found appreciation for roulette. This city also has its differences from Hong Kong. Macau is much smaller, and the way of life does not seem to be quite as fast. The signs are both in Chinese and Portuguese. The cars still drive on the other side of the road.

Tomorrow we leave for Guangzhou, which is known as an up and coming city in China. It is the last stop on our study tour before we go back to Hong Kong to fly home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb