Capital Punishment and The Peak - Last Day in Hong Kong


Advertisement
Hong Kong's flag
Asia » Hong Kong » Hong Kong Island » The Peak
July 8th 2011
Published: July 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Hong Kong ended with the best view of the city yet.

First, we attended a lecture on capital punishment. I learned quite a bit that I did not know. China is the country with the most reported cases of capital punishment in the world. The United States also made the top five. An opinion that the lecturer presented, supported by data, is that capital punishment is not a deterrent for committing crimes. The crime rate is higher in states within the U.S. with the death penalty. He also discussed ways of deterring people from committing crimes, other than capital punishment.

The hosts from Hong Kong Institute of Education briefed us about our trips to Macau and Guangzhou, and then we went to the Peak.

We took the Peak tram up to an area where you can see all of Hong Kong. It was great because we were able to see it at night all lit up. We took the subway and a bus to get back to the dorm. Just when I figure out the public transportation system it is time to leave for a new place! The subway in Hong Kong is extremely efficient, clean, and has amazing air conditioning!

I am looking forward to visiting Macau for the next two days. It is an interesting case because it is a special administrative region, similar to Hong Kong. It is known for gambling and manufacturing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb