Hong Kong and Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau » Macau
June 5th 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lisboa (Original)Lisboa (Original)Lisboa (Original)

The gharish neon of Macau's entertainment district.
In Hong Kong we for once had accommodation booked already - to satisfy tighter visa requirements brought on by the proximity of the Beijing Olympics. Cleverly I had written down directions but not the actual address, which was most definitely not sufficient! Having eventually found internet terminals (in the library) to attain the address, we resumed our search but had little more luck. It was, in all, a stressful couple of hours before we finally located our tiny Inn high in a dilapidated building, overlooking the Causeway Bay shopping district. Even then, the Inn turned out to be full and they moved us to an alternative nearby.

It was a pity, because the early evening ride from the airport had genuinely filled me with wonder - I've never seen a city like this before. The bizarre clusters of uniform high-rises, spookily lit bridges and endless over-the-road pedestrian walkways reminded me of the furturistic cities often depicted in sci-fi films. We only spent three days here, but I enjoyed them greatly.

The day after arrival, we realised we'd had a stroke of luck. Whilst it was a week until the famous Dragon Boat Festival, some preliminary races were being held
St Paul'sSt Paul'sSt Paul's

Interestingly the site contains the remains of the Japanese Christian matryrs, whose memorial I chanced across back in Nagasaki four months ago.
on the eastern side of Hong Kong Island. We went to take a look, in the process visiting an area of the city which must see very few foreigners. The festivities were colourful and good fun - way cooler than rowing! For the rest of that day, and the next, we spent time exploring some of Kowloon's splendid museums, making use of a tourist pass costing only two quid. My favorites (perhaps unsurprisingly) were the Science Museum and Space Museum. The former was like a giant version of London Science Museum's Launch Pad, and also housed a four storey marble run. The latter contained a range of space-related 'rides' such as virtual reality gliding, a space suit simulator and even a 'space walk'. Lots of fun!

From Hong Kong we ferried to nearby Macau. We spent a packed half day exploring the city - both worthwhile and sufficient. In the afternoon we took a look at the crumbling facade of St Paul's Church, before exploring the excellent museum of Macau's history nearby. After all that culture, the evening was spent entertaining ourselves in Macau's 'other side' - the city is often quite reasonably referred to as 'the Vegas of
Kung FuKung FuKung Fu

Kowloon Park has a Sunday afternoon Kung Fu display. This angry little man was the biz.
the East'. The stakes were too high to indulge ourselves in a spot of Texas Hold'em, which we eventually found amongst the multitude of Baccharat tables (a game which the Chinese seem to prefer). Instead we pooled HK$100 (seven quid) and attempted to win enough on Blackjack to pay for the poker - a pursuit which lasted all of five minutes. Oh well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Street of HappinessStreet of Happiness
Street of Happiness

So called for the carnal pleasure once provided behind its distinctive red shutters, the [i]Rua da Felicidade[/i] apparently appeared in [i]Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom[/i], not that I can remember. I'm guessing there was a motorcycle chase scene.
Hong Kong IslandHong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island

A famous skyline of skyscrapers.
The Grand LisboaThe Grand Lisboa
The Grand Lisboa

This hideous eyesore (but undeniably Macau's grandest hotel/casino) seemed to have Monte Fort's canons trained on it. Quite understandable really.
Dragon Boat RacersDragon Boat Racers
Dragon Boat Racers

This small boat had just completed a four-way race. The largest boats accommodated at least 50 athletes.


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb