Rural Laos and Dong Kong Island


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
November 19th 2013
Published: November 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Rural Laos and Dong Kong Island



We had a much better day with a guide that showed up early and was prepared. we drove to Dong Kong Island.....no cars allowed....and took a motor bike to a take a boat to view the fresh water dolphins. We took a motor bike...the first of several...complete with side car. The 'road' was just wide enough for two motor bikes to pass. we had a lovely ride through the forest, shaded and very fresh smelling. There was a steady flow of tourists cycling and taking motor bikes to see the dolphins.



The area to view the dolphins is right on the Laos/Cambodian border. we actually had to stop on the Cambodian side and pay a fee for view dolphins in Cambodian waters. We drifted in the Mekong for a while before we saw the first dolphin. It was stinking hot and humid. The dolphins are short....4-6 feet max and grey....pretty ,much the color of the sun glazed water. We were very successful in spotting dolphins, much to the relief of our guide.



Lunch was at a riverside restaurant by the French bridge. The French built a bridge linking the 2 islands about 120 years ago. There was a steady stream of bikes and pedestrians over the bridge. we watched a lady give her 2 small children a bath in the milky brown waters of the Mekong. It was difficult to imagine how anyone would come out cleaner then they went in!



We also viewed the largest waterfall on the Mekong. It was very impressive and seemed to go on forever. I must admit I was somewhat waterfalled out this being the 5th waterfall in 2 days.



We arrived at the River Resort in late afternoon. It is on an island so we had to take a boat over. They had their own boat, complete with chairs so we did not have to sit on a low bench. I felt that we arrived in state at the dock. Yes, they had a dock which was a real treat after scrambling up and down the river bank, walking off the boat on a narrow plank and wandering through construction sites to get to the boat. Infrastructure is sadly lacking in Laos.



River resort is a gem in the wilderness. Swimming pool, A/C, lovely restaurant, well trained staff, and hot water. We had a lovely room on the river. We had time to wander down to the village. The contrast could not be greater: first world luxury to third world squalor in half a kilometer. Once we started taking pictures of the children and showing them the pictures they were all over us. Fortunately the resort hires locally and has the farmers tend to the rice paddies in the resort. The owners also provide english lessons for the staff so they can improve their english skills.





Dinner was on the terrace and was excellent.....as usual.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb