Laos - lost in Limbo land 10th - 17th Feb


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
February 17th 2010
Published: February 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

Sorry we're so behind on our blog. We promise much more info on Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. However at the mo we are caught in Laos... long story but basically we are without our passport and valuables so we're awaiting reissuing of passports, bankcards etc... Chris picked up his new passport from the French Embassy yesterday and I have to await my passport from Vietnam (yep no Irish Embassy in Laos...) We've been in the Capital Vientiane for 1 week dealing with the bureaucracy - going to immigration, the police, foreign affairs, embassies etc. So we have had to put our hols on hold. When these things happen it seem like you'll never find a solution, but slowly works out in the end and it seems like we will be going to Thailand soon afterall.... wipee.

Weirdy enough all the authorities have been hugely helpful to us (although stern at first I think my Laos skirt helped break the ice). And the lady from the place we are staying has been exceptionally helpful, she's like our Laos mammy. So we no longer feel like tourists which is actually really nice and we are in a way living here, everyone seems to know us (especially the guys in the internet cafe!). So it feels like we've infiltrated Laos daily life which in a way is a real positive aspect of what has happened. We have our place for brekky and we've almost visited every restaurant on the street (which unknown to us seems to be the ladyboy hangout - theres even prostitutes on mopeds - a very entrepreneurial business idea). I do think that more than 1 man has been very surprised at the end of a drunken night!!

So as you can tell we're trying to keep our sense of humour and make the most of it (although we can't wait to lay on a beautiful Thai beach for some very well deserved rest and recuperation!)

So we're off to immigration (again), the Thai embassy - to see If I can get to Thailand withouth my passport and pick it up there. We're also reading alot so it's quite nice to have a week in a place to kick back. By the way for a recommendation for a book Memoirs of a Geisha is great.. I'm finished so another one is needed when I'm on the beach in Thailand (wishful thinking). Fingers crossed we'll get there.

It's never boring.......

Hope everyone is well, we miss you all and look forward to catching up with ye when we get home for a lovely frosty brew 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb