Laos - Vientiane to Vang Vieng to Luang Pabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
May 13th 2007
Published: May 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our next move was getting a train from bangkok to Loas and arrived in Laos on the 13th May. We spent the first couple of days in Vientiane (the Capital) although Storrington and Capel St Mary are far busier! This place was so sleepy!
On the 15th we Headed North to a place called Vang Vieng. We both loved it here. When we arrived we checked in and were having a wonder around when we heard our names being called - it was 2 mates from uni who were on our course! mad!! so we spent the next couple of days with them.
The first day (16th) we went on a trip which included visiting a cave which had water in it - so you get a big rubber tube sit in it and guide yourself through this really long cave (or if you're exceptionally lazy get your boyfriend to do it for you!) It was brilliant fun! When we got out of the cave the guides had cooked us a bbq for lunch which was delicious! In the afternoon we went kayaking down the river Nam Song. It was tiring but a good laugh.
Vang Vieng is famous for its tubing - where u get on one of these massive tractor inner tubes and float down the river. As you go down there are bars on the banks where they try and pull you in for a Beer Lao. Most of the bars have rope swings as well! Some of these swings are massive and took people a lot of time to pluck up the corage to go. So the next day this is what we did. There are over 100 people on the river in these tubes, awesome fun. We set off at 11am and didnt get back till 7.30pm.
The following day we hired out a scooter and had a little explore. We visited a blue lagoon which was stunning. It was so clear but very cold! Whilst we were there the heavens opened again and didnt stop for the rest of the afternoon so we just relaxed in some of the bars. Another thing about Vang Vieng is that it is 'Friends' (the TV series) central! It is being played everywhere. Every bar has a number of big screens all showing friends. We did find one bar that showed video after video which was a nice change from constantly watching friends.
The next day (19th) we went tubing again down the river because its such great fun! On the 20th we wanted to go again but it rained the whole day so it was another day of friends friends and more friends!
On the 21st we made our way futher north to Luang Prabang. This used to be the capital city before Veintiane. We arrived at about 3pm after the most uncomfortable ride zig zagging through the mountains, both of us feeling rather ill! When we got there we bumped into our mates again so spent the evening with them.
The next day (22nd) we went to Tat Kuang Si waterfall which was absoultly stunning. There was waterfall after waterfall with various turquoise pools between them which you could swim in.
On the (23rd) we went on a boat up the Mekong river where we stopped off at a local village where they make Lao Lao the local rice wiskey, though at 10 o clock in the morning was pretty hard to take! We then travelled further up river to a cave which was full 1000's of Buddah statues which had only been discoverd 30 years ago.
Today (24th) we booked our bus ticket for this evening to travel down to south Laos, to a place called Tha Khaek. This time we are going to take motion sickness tablets for the journey!hehe! We have hired bicycles out for the day to have a venture around but its really hot out so im not sure how far we are going to get!
We hope everyone is well,
Look forward to hearing your news.
Lots of love
Fats and Ben
xxxxxxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb