Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
February 16th 2010
Published: February 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Vientiane is the capital of Laos; the city has a very European feel thanks to the French occupation which ended a few decades ago. Continental cafes and coffee shops are everywhere as well as wine shops selling French plonk, pate and cheeses. We opted for our first western style dinner as we had not had anything of the sort in ages; Natalie with a really yummy pasta dish and Daniel with the best burger we’d ever tasted.

The second night we opted for something a little more traditional; every evening on the river front, temporary restaurants set up so we headed down to have a look. The local couple sat next to us had an interesting looking shared dish so we opted to try one too. An earthenware pot filled with boiling broth was sat on burning coals on our low table, we had uncooked chicken and beef as well as a raw egg, dry noodles, a mild spicy paste and vegetables. Not really sure on cooking times we threw some meat in, waited a bit then chucked in some noodle and then the vegetables. Once cooked we mixed in a little paste and ‘voila’ we’ve cooked our own dinner!
Road signsRoad signsRoad signs

In French & Laos
We were still confused by the egg so we poached it separately and had it on the side, it was one of Natalie’s best poached egg ever, cooked on the outside but thick and runny on the inside. For a fun dinner and a great setting we paid 30,000kip (US$4).

Whilst in Vientiane we also decided to treat ourselves to a traditional Laos massage after all the pain of our bus journeys. For an hour we were lent on, knelt on, pummelled, pressed with hot mitts and at one point had our ears flicked. For little people they have some power behind them!

The next morning we set off north to Vang Vieng, a place in the hills which is the tubing capital of Laos!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dinner...Dinner...
Dinner...

but what do we do?!
DinnerDinner
Dinner

We think we have the hang of it.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

Definately have the hang of it!


Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb