Day 8 - Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
October 20th 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 8 - Vientiane

We checked out of our hotel at 4:15am and headed to the airport. Our taxi driver was running red lights like no other and when he missed a turn he simply reversed about 300 metres to make it. He was Malaysias version of Schumacher!!

We had a whole 2.5 hours sleep due to the early start so I had about 43 micro sleeps between KL and Vientiane. We landed in Vientiane around lunchtime. The market place was interesting and they had a lot of stuff there and it was all very very cheap. Unfortunately the quality of clothes and other goods was not as good as Thailand or Malaysia so I decided not to buy anything. My suitcase is already full and I am having trouble keeping within the baggage limits so more shopping was not a good idea.

After a long walk we made it to the Mekong riverfront. Just across the river we could see Thailand. The riverfront is where all the foreigners hangout so it was an interesting walk down there. There were lots of places to eat with very cheap food. I had a fried rice with squid tonight for only $2.5usd and a cold bottle of water was $0.30usd. Our accommodation is simple but I can't expect too much for $13usd per night, it has all the basics.

Unfortunately pepsi is still in the hurt locker with his stomach but at least mine is feeling a lot better 😊 Pepsi is popping Gastro Stops like tic tacs. I would not be surprised if the share price of gastro stop doubled in the next few days :P

No ripoffs today and the people here are very friendly. Tomorrow we leave for Vang Vieng for some tubing.

Ripoff tally - 7



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Mekong RiverMekong River
Mekong River

On the other side is Thailand


25th October 2009

Makes A Change ken
wow.. your stomach is doing ok and someone elses is not good... make a nice change for you... Ash
27th October 2009

Maybe its not so good anymore
My stomach was doing ok there for a few days but now it is not so good again. LOL. Hopefully it will recover again soon.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb