Meeting up in Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
December 9th 2008
Published: December 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After some galley of talking to Laotian receptionist and leave a message in the shabby guesthouse saying I've found Macthieu at Vientiane. We, Mathieu and I had dinner out in a faily good Indian restaurant before taking a tuk-tuk for the temple of Pha ThatLuang one of the biggest in Laos. In the morning one of the employee of the guesthouse told me about "party tonight last night at stupa.."

We fall on what is the biggest holiday of Laos, which takes place during three day in November when the moon is full. The city is swarming with people, easiy several dozens thousand persons. Around the stupa, Laos people walk with candles and flowers in their hands. The holiday looked like a fair. You can throw dart to blow up balls, make young duck fall down by throwing a bullet and do lottery. The coca extract is served in plastic bags.

Then we went to a big stage of a Laos pop concert. The entrance ticket was 0.5$ but compared to the style of the singers and the crowd's rapture, the price was still low. Laos people made us drink their beer. We were the only white in the middle of thousand people. Most people, all very young seemed to come from cities around Vientiane and hadn't seen many whites. Mathieu and I become the stars of the party. Girls threw peanut at us as a way of drawing our attention.

Vientiane is a very ventilative city, interspersed with French colonial building. Like in the south, the people are not very sociable. Nothing big is made hare and I wonder how such a calm city can be the capital of an Asian country. They have rented bike for the day. We had a nice biking trip of the city.


The nightlife is unique of Vietiane. Lonely Planet recommended the Marina bar as an inevitable so we headed there first. In the first half of the night we play bowling which is made rather incongruos and frankly funny. The price is fairly low 20$ for two hours of game. The music is rather curious with Asian version of international songs. In the bar there were quite a lot homosexuals and some ladyboy. It's time to come back. See ya.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb