A Lao chicken bus trip.


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
August 4th 2008
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

the loop of...the loop of...the loop of...

Vang Vieng
Vang Vieng, same day. I leave Vietianne around 10.30 h. in the morning by - as a like to call it - a local chicken bus, no more VIP airco busses with built-in toilet and comfortable reclining seats as they are common these days in Thailand. Just an old rusty bus with the locals in ragged but clean clothes and often transporting their animals with them, hence the nickname "chicken bus". Slowly the bus winds it way up into the Lao hills passing small hilltribe villages, lush forests and great views of the plains below. It's only a 153 km. to Vang Vieng but the trip nonetheless takes a full thre and half hours on wooden uncomfortable seats with frequent stops because the driver needs a pee or a smoke or both. I feel like I'm back in thailand but then twenty years ago. Already way before reaching Vang Vieng I can see the dramatic karst limestone terrain the village is famous for. This beautifull landscape is rumoured to be riddled with spirit inhabited tunnels and caves, many of which contain ancient Buddha statues and images. Needless to say that set in such stunning terrain Vang Vieng is the number one tourist destination in Laos, a must on the need-to-see list of Laos for every foreign traveller in this country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

the loopthe loop
the loop

Vang Vieng
another shopanother shop
another shop

Vang Vieng
shop peopleshop people
shop people

Vang Vieng


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1115s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb