Vientiane, Lao People's Democratic Republic


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
April 2nd 2008
Published: April 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Arrival

We arrived in the capital of Laos, Vientiane, after over 28 hours of land trip from Hanoi--a trip which was supposed to be just about 20 hours.

When the driver of the bus cum sumuggling vehicle announced that we've reached the center of the city, we, the three Filipinos unboarded, and the seven caucasians followed suit.

As soon as we unboarded the bus, a Tuktuk was there waiting ready to take us to Thong Bay for Kip20,000.00 each. It maybe overprices but all we want was a bed to lie on and so we gave it a go.

It seems to be a long way to Thong Bay. And when we finally arrived, it looks as though we were passing a dark alley. The white falangs were trying to scare us saying "ohhhhh its a dark alley.... and so on." This does not scare us though. We've been used to the dark in the Philippines.

The two young Lao Ladies must have waited for us. At first there was some misunderstanding but a few moments later, they gave us a room of two beds for US$16.00 each day. After giving us the key, the ladies politely asked that they be excused because they have to go home.

Vientiane

Vientien is a small city. It does not even have a taxi. We walked our way to the riverside looking for a bank or a money changer.

Most people would tell us that there is not much to be seen in Vientien. Perhaps they were right. But Vientien is a mystic itself that remains to be expolored.

We have visited a number of Wats, the National Museum, and have lunch along the Mekong River. All-in-all, exploring Vientiane requires only about a day.

You will find some of our pictures posted here.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb