Loas


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
October 26th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Room with a ViewRoom with a ViewRoom with a View

This is the view from the balconyat our guesthouse...it certainly makes getting out of bed easier. The river runs behind the mountains so when tubing you get the same type of backdrop. Magic.
Hello

Laos was a bit of an after thought for us - we didn't think that we could fit it in. Everyone we met on the way said we should go and we're glad we took the advice.

We flew into Laos from Siem Reap on Laos Airways. It was the smallest plane I'd ever been on, only 36 seats and very scary (but apparently Laos Airway's saftely record has improved greatly!). We arrived in the capital, Vientiane during a river festival. I thought that this would be really good but it meant we couldn't find any decent accomodation. We ended up paying $18 a night (and that's a lot for us at the mo!) for a hovel. Never again. I guess that kind of put a dampener on things. Dean liked Vientiane but I wasn't so keen. It was too busy but was like an over grown school fete!

The next day we headed for Vang Vieng which has a reputation for being a party backpacker town at night. It's also really quaint and beautiful by day. The surrounding scenery is stunning.

We met some Americans on the bus and headed off for some lunch with
Boat Festival Boat Festival Boat Festival

Really a festival for the locals as it's a bit of a bank holiday
them when we arrived. We bumped into a couple we had met on the Delta who had also met up with quite a large group. That night we all went out and as a consequence I felt like death the next day (Matthew will be glad to hear that Dad and I have not been getting drunk all the time and that was our first hangover!) It was good fun but Dean and I are definitely the oldest backpackers in this town! I have to admit defeat and realise I can't keep up with the 21 year olds.

We went tubing the next day. A tube is a giant rubber ring which floats down the river. No photos of this I'm afraid as the camera would have been wet. It was amazing. Really relaxing and nice to be in the cool water on such a hot day. One of the highlights of our trip so far. After 5 km, riverside bars appear and the staff throw poles to you to pull you in. They have massive rope swings and pulleys so you can dive into the river from high platform. Dean jumped a few times and managed to avoid
Arriving in Vang ViengArriving in Vang ViengArriving in Vang Vieng

This was the first place where we weren't accosted by taxi and tuk tuk drivers when we arrived on the bus! We were able to walk without hassle to our guesthouse.
a belly flop.

We're going to stay in Vang Vieng for a few more days then planned just because it's chilled and our accomodation is fantastic ($12 per night although no tv which Dean's not too happy about). We also want to go tubing again.

Loas people are fantastic. We haven't been hassled at all since arriving, just had offers of help and advice. Most people just want to chat to you to practice English. Dean gets on well with everyone as Liverpool FC is quite popular over here.

That's it for now, take care and write back if you have time as it's always good to hear from home


lol Lowri and Dean

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb