A Child of Southeast Asia


Advertisement
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
November 21st 2017
Published: November 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Getting to Vientiane I had a lazy morning in Phonsavan. After eating the hotel breakfast, I wandered around the nearby market. Phonsavan’s market is huge - way out of proportion to the size of the town. My guess is that this market serves a large hinterland. There were Hmong in traditional attire too. After packing, I checked out at 11am. My flight to Vientiane wasn‘t until 1.20pm. I consider... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

COPE Visitor CenterCOPE Visitor Center
COPE Visitor Center

This is a canoe made out of an old B-52 fuel tank. Apparently it isn’t uncommon to see these in certain villages.
COPE Visitor CenterCOPE Visitor Center
COPE Visitor Center

An illustration of how a cluster bomb works. The casing comes apart midair, scattering hundreds of bombies.
COPE Visitor CenterCOPE Visitor Center
COPE Visitor Center

A collection of prosthetics.
Wat Si MuangWat Si Muang
Wat Si Muang

I assume this is the original city pillar. There is a new one in a separate nearby structure and that one is identified as the city pillar.
Wat Si MuangWat Si Muang
Wat Si Muang

I found this amusing. This was the top half of a lion’s head emerging from the ground at the corner of the temple.
Wat Si MuangWat Si Muang
Wat Si Muang

Another amusing shot. Nymph-like creature riding a lion.
Wat Si MuangWat Si Muang
Wat Si Muang

Marigolds at Buddha’s feet.
Wat Si MuangWat Si Muang
Wat Si Muang

Sorry if I am being insensitive, but every time I see a statue like this I think of Pai Mei in Kill Bill.
City PillarCity Pillar
City Pillar

Presumably this is the new city pillar. It reminded me of the nuclear bomb that was worshipped in one of the original Planet of the Apes films.
That DamThat Dam
That Dam

This chedi is in a traffic roundabout in the middle of the city. I suspect it would be quite spectacular if it were restored.
Wat ChanthabuliWat Chanthabuli
Wat Chanthabuli

Sitting Buddha in the hall.
Wat ChanthabuliWat Chanthabuli
Wat Chanthabuli

Note the little chicken at the elephant’s foot.
Popping Balloons Popping Balloons
Popping Balloons

This was along the street near the riverfront. Contestants threw darts to pop the balloons.
Dried CuttlefishDried Cuttlefish
Dried Cuttlefish

This is a snack I sometimes ate as a kid. I have noticed that no Caucasians I know can tolerate the smell of this.



26th November 2017

South-East Asia
I loved your summary of South-East Asia, a fascinating mix of cultures, histories and influences. Sounds like you've had a wonderful time in Laos. I wish you a safe journey on to Australia, look forward to reading about your adventures there :)
27th November 2017

Yes, Australia beckons
I’m going to drive up the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide. I’m also booked to watch the Australia vs. England Ashes match - my first ever cricket match. I’ll be rooting for England, my former home. :-)
27th November 2017

Sending merit
I don't think I've ever come across a mailbox in a temple before, and I'm giggling at the concept of sending merit to "lovers" :) The way in which past histories of places contribute to/shape their modern-day identities is a fascinating subject. However, even when looking at a small island like Sri Lanka, the layers you mentioned are so thick and ingrained that they're sometimes hard to identify. And then there's also the complicating political and religious lens through which things are viewed. It's so fabulous that travel is such a good teacher! Sorry our dates in Melbs don't coincide with yours... looking forward to reading your take on my most favourite place in the world :)
5th January 2018

The Layers of Influence
Since you are as food crazed as I am, I recommend reading Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors. It is a fascinating read that traces the influences in Indian cuisine.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb