Tubing in Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
November 7th 2011
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

If you go to Vang Vieng, there is only one thing to see and do....TUBING BABY!! This consists of a river, alcohol and slides. It is basically the thorpe park of Laos, only difference there is one death a month here. But no worries, it is only if you are to drunk and jump off the side somewhere rocky crack your head showing off and drown. Luckily I am a very sensible boy and decided to just stick to Zip wires and high jumps into the river.
9 of us went tubing and decided to buy bright coloured clothes looking like an 80's disco band, I had fluresant (spelt wrong) pink shorts & glasses with a white t-shirt claiming I love the 80's (seriously this doesn't look out of place one bit in VV!!).
On arrival you are greated with a large shot of local whiskey which sucks, but then you get to buy beers for 50p, which set the tone for the next 5 hours. We stayed at the first bar for about an hour sitting in the 32 degree heat and playing some vollyball with more randoms before heading off in our tube to the next bar. How this works is, you are racing down the river and the locals throw a bottle attached to a rope which you cling onto, depending if you like the look of the rope swings and slides. We go out at the 2nd bar and played some drinking games and started to jump off the tall wooden platform into the deep water (offcourse mum) obviously now with lots of dutch courage but mostly peer pressure egging eachother on.
We spent the next 5 hours dancing, drinking & jumping it was crazy and something to be experienced by all (under 35 maybe) I guarentee no one will be disappointed....unless ur an idiot and hurt urself. This is also a first as when I went to the toilet, I looked behind me and I was being stared at by 3 chickens, and I had to jump over them to get out! Our injurys consisted of big bruses on arms and feet, broken toe and some hangovers....nothing major to write home about which was a plus. We spent another day doing the same before making our way back to Luang Prabang for our flight to Hanoi.
The only bar in the town ios called Q Bar (which is 10 times better than the HH version, prob becuase its just not in HH!) everyone is dancing, enjoying themselves and chilling out. There is a pool table and cheap drinks....you can never go wrong with that for starters.

Our bus trip back to Luang Prabang was not as bad as the trip on the way into VV. That was horrible and I didnt sleep a wink as we were going along mountain roads with only 2 foot between us and death drops pof 100 feet drop below which sh1t me up a little. On the way back I thought sod this I am going to sleep whether I am bricking it or not the biggest problem was the cows this time around, they own the roads in these parts, they are like the traffic police and they dont care who you are or where your going!
the views were amazing, right up into the mountains, took another load of pics and will upload tomorrow. Families just living up in these moutains in houses on stilts, its mad...but kinda cool as it is so peaceful, I might consider it if it wasnt for the traffic police cows and perverted chickens!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb