North Thailand and Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
March 8th 2009
Published: March 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's been ages since I updated last (sorry mum) so I've got loads to write now. Have been in places where the internet was too slow, also been having a problem with this blog, let me know if anyone else ever has problems getting onto the site because I might change to a different one...

Anyway! Suppose I'd better carry on where I left off, which was in Sukhothai, that seems like aaages ago! Matt was ill, but then he was feeling better again, so we hired bikes and cycled round the historical parkwhich was lots of fun and the old temples are amazing. Sukhothai wasn't that great though, so we soon got on another bus for a 6 hour journey to Chiang Mai. That has to have been the wort bus ride so far, no suspension and no air con, argh!

Chiang Mai is alright, very busy and hectic. We spent a few days there. On the first day we went on a really long walk looking for a place recommended in the lonely planet book, which was some buddhist vegetarian place. It took us about an hour and when we got there it was grim, Matt described it as a drop in centre for the homeless! And we had to wash our own plates. Luckily we found a lovely park so we sat in there and ate icecreams and fed the fish, saw some huge catfish. Then we watched the pigeons pooing into the big pond and the fishes ate it. Nice.

Whilst there, we went on a "trek" into the jungle which involved us getting onto a minivan and being driven around! No trekking at all : ( It was still fun though, we went on an ox cart, then we had an elephant ride. I bought some bananas and fed the elephants, which was my favourite bit of the day. Watched an elephant show then floated down the river on a bamboo raft. It was very touristy but it was ok. We went to Tiger Kingdom and stroked the tigers the next day - scary!! They were 7-10 months old but still quite big. Apparently, they wont attack, but they might playfight with you which would probably hurt.

The night bazaar in Chiang Mai was brill, got loads of tops and a new bag and purse and a dress and a necklace! My backpack is bulging! I'm getting ace at haggling now though.

Then we went to Pai which is gorgeous, really wish we'd been able to spend longer there. It was in the mountains, surrounded by loads of lush rainforest. There was loads of smelly hippies there as well and lots of delicious food. We hired a scooter again and explored the waterfalls.

And now we are in Laos. We got a slow boat down the river to Luang Prabang which took 2 days and was ridiculously uncomfortable, the views were gorgeous though, made it all worth having a proper sore arse from sitting on a tiny wooden bench for 8 hours a day. They overfilled the boat as well and we nearly capsized. Exciting! Luang Prabang is lovely, very calm and peaceful. We went to the waterfull which was ace, can't wait to put the photos on facebook because it was unbelievably pretty.

Now we are in Vang Vieng. Yesterday, we booked the bus here, heard it was quite a rough journey so paid 13.00 (instead of 8.00) for a vip bus with a toilet and lunch. Unfortunately, we got on the wrong bus, so there was no toilet or lunch. And I got ill and had to sit with a carrier bag and try not to cry. Haven't seen much of Vang Vieng yet, we're supposed to be going tubing tomorrow but I'm ill, so need to try and get better soon. Seem to have picked up a wierd virus which keeps making me sick and faint, Matt says I look like a ghost because I'm so pale. Starting to feel better though : )

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb