Floating down the river


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
January 4th 2009
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Vang Vieng is the place to be for tubing down the river. You get dropped off down stream with your tube, and there's bars on either side of the river that you stop at along the way. The people who work there throw empty water bottles that are tied to strings to haul you in from the river to their bar. You receive a free shot if Tiger whiskey upon arrival. There's also zip lines, swings, diving boards, slides and mudpits. The water isn't that deep in areas, and I've met tonnes of people who have seriously injured themselves. You have to be careful, but it's probably one of the best parties I've ever experienced. I managed to get up the courage to go off one of the swings, and it was actually a lot of fun! After the last bar, it takes about 1.5 hours to float down the river before you get back to the tube rental hut.

All of the restaurants here are set up with beds that have tables in the middle. Friends, Family Guy, Simpsons etc are playing at different restaurants, so when you're recovering from too much fun in the sun, you can lie around all day and relax. It's pretty amazing!

I'm off to Luang Prabang tomorrow, about 6 hours north. It's only about 150kms, but the roads are so bad it takes a long time to get there.

Much love ~K xo

Advertisement



4th January 2009

Oh man, that sounds like so much fun!!
4th January 2009

Um, AMAZING. I want to go so bad! What a creative way to tube!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb