Monsoon Season or Global Warming?


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

About 2 weeks ago, in Nepal, I thought to myself "we have gotten almost no rain on this trip". And at that point, I was very much correct. Other than a few sprinkles on the Lares Trek and the hail at Cape Town, we essentially have been percipitation free, until now at least. It started in Cambodia, each afternoon around 2:00pm it rained. We got caught out riding our bikes in a down pour, but it was okay because there was nobody at Ankor Watt (quite the rarety). Then in Chiang Mai it rained every day we were there, again in the afternoon and sometimes in the evening. Again, it wasn't a big deal. It gave me a great excuse to sit on Sue's couch (Kelly's friend that we were staying with) and watch the entire first season of Arrested Development. Although I am sure Chiang Mai has a lot to explore, I was perfectly happy following the crazy adventures of the Blooth family. After over 2 months of travelling, never more than 3 nights at a single place, I was ready to veg out and have a break.

But now, its just annoying.

Here in Laos (or as they spell it here "Lao"), the mountains are beautiful, there is excellent hiking, rafting, rock climbing, etc..., however, there really isn't much to do in doors. Its not even supposed to be monsoon season! Sue is greatful for the rain (despite only having a motorbike for transporation, and despite the locals insistence on driving motorbikes with umbrellas, you still get very wet). Aparently it helps with the air pollution. I am sure this is true, but it also makes it very difficult to see the Laos country side. Our bus ride today took several hours longer because of mudslides (to add to the excitement of 100 ft drop offs with no guard rails), and apparently Vietnam is flooded. I think it is time for this fake monsoon season to end (regardless, we are going rafting tomorrow down the Mekong, weather be damned).

- Steve

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb