Tubing in Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
December 18th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Vang Vieng, LaosVang Vieng, LaosVang Vieng, Laos

These rickety bridges are rebuilt every year after the rains.
Picture this: a sleepy village in the middle of Laos, dominated by the tranquil Nam Song River, and surrounded by beautiful limestone cliffs and lush green fields full of water buffalo and cows. Add to this a heavy sprinkling of happy smiling locals and equally happy backpackers, and you start to get the idea of what a visit to Vang Vieng is like.

Having returned to this magical place after two years, we were quite anxious that it might have changed and "progressed" for the worse. We were so glad to discover that it was, in fact, hardly changed. Sure, a new fancy hotel had been build in place of a handful of small local establishments (sad, but bound to happen), but apart from that, it remained essentially the same. The bridges and bars along the river are still thrown together out of bamboo every year after the rains, and the locals are still happy and smiling, not jaded as can sometimes happen.

We have spent a week here, alternating between floating down the river in an inner tube from bar to bar, lazing in a hammock by the river sipping a mango shake, and taking a bike ride
Loaded up and ready to goLoaded up and ready to goLoaded up and ready to go

Tuk tuks loaded up with 10 travellers and 10 inner tubes get ready to take you up river.
or a walk in the surrounding countryside. If there is a heaven, this place just might be it! I'll let the photos speak for themselves!

Oh, Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

This is where it all starts!This is where it all starts!
This is where it all starts!

The start of the tubing trip down the Nam Song River
Bar 1Bar 1
Bar 1

Let's get this party started!
Sara with her birthday bucketSara with her birthday bucket
Sara with her birthday bucket

Vodka, red bull, and sprite - yum!
A sea of inner tubes!A sea of inner tubes!
A sea of inner tubes!

Getting ready to float down to the next bar.
What a job!What a job!
What a job!

These guys make sure you don't float right past their bar by mistake!


20th December 2007

Wow!
It's just like you described it to us! Maybe we should have made our way there! Next trip!

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb