friends all day long


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

tubingtubingtubing

sven, me and tom about to hop in the river
after arriving in vang vieng after 3 days of biking we were all pretty worn out. we all found rooms for $1.25. pretty expensive right? we all had our own bathrooms...and we didn't have to use the bucket to shower. i thought i was in heaven. i ended up staying in vang vien for 3 nights and 2.5 days. i think that is all you need though...
the first night i ate a cheeseburger and fries. it was the first taste of western food that i had had in a couple of days and i was craving it. i also met up with a lot of friends from the slow boat. howard, taka, many, natalie, nativ...carried my bag from luang prabang...

when i woke up the next day the weather was terrible. it was a good thing that each restaurant has tv's because i didn't really feel like doing to much. it is hard to explain the vibe of vang vieng but it is really chill. you wouldn't believe it but every restaurant has beds with lil tables so that you can just lay there and eat and watch tv. 2 restaurants show friends all day long, one plays
tubing grouptubing grouptubing group

at the first stop looking out on the river
the simpsons, and then about 3 other show movies all day. it felt like i was in the states. so starting at about 1.30 pm i started watching a movie...the lord of war. then i watched another movie ..face of for another 2 hours. it is the first time in 7 months that i have watched tv for 4 hours...i felt lazy but i didn't care. there were a lot of my friends laying around watching tv too. i met this girl (jen from england) that watched friends one day for 8.5 hours. she didn't move the whole day.

the second day i was there had to be the highlight of vang vieng. they have a river there that you rent tubes on and go tubing for about 3.5 hours. when you get your tube a tuk tuk takes you down to the starting place. as soon as you get into the water about 50 m down the river is 3 bars and they all have giant swings going into the river. we (howard, evelyn, sven, kelley, sara, zoey, natalie, sven, taka, and the other tom) stopped at the first place and we all jumped a couple of times.
swingswingswing

if you look up in the tree you can see the swing...it was about 15 m high
we decided we needed to keep moving on after we finished the first beer lao (we sold are bikes earlier in the day for a lot less then we bought them for, but we all threw in a lil money into the kitty so that we had drinking money on the tubbing trip) the next place we stopped by far was the best place to stop. the swing was huge. people were doing flips off of it and flying as far as they can. i just jumped. a lil too high to do a back flip. we ended up staying there for like 1 hour. when we got back in the tubes there are also bars that have people holding bam boo sticks that hold them out to you in the river and will just sell you drinks while you sit in your tube. it was so fun and it was hot outside so it was a perfect day. we made it down the river to the end just as the sun was going down.

well a couple of days have passed since i was in vang vieng. i have had a change in plans. i was going to
me flyingme flyingme flying

me flying off the swing!
go straight into vietnam right after laos but right now it is thai new year and one of the best places to go is in chiang mai. so i am now traveling with a friend named howard from england. we flew from vientiene to chaing mai. it is crazy here right now. i was in a water fight on the street today for 5.5 hours. tomorrow (13th) is the thai new year and it is supposed to be a huge water fight!!! even bigger then today which is hard to beat. i hope everybody is doing good. time is flying...

peace





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

cookingcooking
cooking

when i got back to chiang mai i took a pad thai cooking class...anybody want to taste my cooking other then peanut butter and jellY?
after the fightafter the fight
after the fight

this is after the water fight today. my weapons of choice are a bucket (scooping water out of the river) and a one shot cannon...


15th April 2007

wow
okay thomas, grow the facial hair back, my gosh, my nephew is one hell of a hottie. no wonder there are always girls around you. uncle dave loves reading your blogs and giggles. do not want to know what is going through his head. his words are "go thomas" OUCH. loveyou b

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb