Lazy Luang Prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
March 27th 2011
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post


Our First destination in Laos was Luang Prabang and after 2 days meandering up the Mekong River on a Slow Boat we arrived to the lusciously green Luang prabang.

The Mekong River itself alone is beautiful, if you have read ‘mad about the Mekong by John Keay’ you may have an idea. As I had not I went without any preconceptions (Top Gear haven’t covered the Mekong yet 😉. Tom had read the book so he was my little tour guide, pretty much Big rocks in an endlessly long river with Jungle either side and in parts it acts as a country’s boarder. The only thing that was slightly disappointing was….. the weather! For one of the days it was so cold we wore our jumpers and waterproofs!

On our first whole day in Luang Prabang we rented bicycles complete with wicker basket and took to exploring the town discovering hidden gems like “Utopia” Restaurant & Bar (for anyone heading there) which is exactly what it says on the tin. There are lots of classic Buddhist temples complete with Monks tenderly repairing and restoring them, you can also see them partaking in the same daily activities as they have for centaries(free breakfast) but be respectful and do not interfere.

Asthetically Luang Prabang has quite a bit of French influence, from the odd villas to the Bakeries and Wine Bars, the latter was very much appreciated as it’s quite hard to find in Asia. Being British it obviously had to rain for the last two days that we were here so we Spanked the old budgie on a bottle of Australian Sauvignon Blanc (which was well worth it!) and headed off earlier to Vang Viene.

Luang Prabang was definitely my favourite place in Laos, it has stunning views of the Mekong River surrounded with Lush forest and is a peacefully quaint little town where you can find delicious Food and Wine… quite frankly a must.



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd April 2011

Good evening from London
Fatty & curly... both cutie! xx

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb