Water Festival - "Pi Mai"


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
April 17th 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Who said monks are pacifists?!Who said monks are pacifists?!Who said monks are pacifists?!

Walking by a temple during Pi Mai we were ambushed by this monk, so we had to defend ourselves ;-)
It has been a wonderful week we have spent in Luang Prabang. It was hard to leave Muang Noi, one of Laos' best kept secrets, but I'm sure we'll return one day. We have spent most of this week drenched ( I have tried many times to get to the internet cafe without being soaked, but have failed each time......) We have met up with a really great crowd. Phil and Millsy, who we originally met in Chiang Mai, recognised us from an internet cafe as we walked down the street. Since then we have meet heaps of people; the Irish girls (Karen, Helen and Finola), now known generically as the "the girls", Roxy and Tucker, Debs, Mexican Man, Anna and Matt- loads more! We also met a Lao called Vinh who has been our self-appointed tour guide of Luang Prabang, official organiser of night time activites, but most of all, a friend to us all!

So we have been here a week and 5 of those days we have spent soaked! Pi Mai (Laos New Year) is celebrated by pouring water over your Buddha to rid yourself of the previous year's bad luck. However, this has evolved to pouring water over everyone you meet to wish them good luck - "Suk Dee!". You have no chance of staying dry so almost everyone succumbs to a new personality; we have become....... "The Falang Rangers!". A group of us went out to watch "Miss Luang Prabang" on the eve of the festivities and at the fair we bought our outfits; rubber rings, kids plastic Power Ranger masks and super-soakers. For the next 5 days we walked the streets of Luang Prabang as the Falang Rangers taking no prisoners!The official first day of the festivities was fantastic. We met at midday in our gear and headed over the Mekong River on long boats to the opposite bank where a massive Lao party was being held. The dance tent was a huge old parachute. We danced the Laos way to some pretty funky Laos music and also joined in their type of line dancing - great fun! The atmosphere was amazing - everyone was drinking Laos beer, was soaked with water and covered in flour or talc - another evolution to the water festival. Everyone looked a mess, but everyone had a big smile on their faces. Steve and I agreed it was one of the best days each of us has ever had.

Another couple of days passed in this way, and on the night of 15th April, our very special friend from Sydney arrived - Gunja (AKA Matt Henderson)! Despite not getting a network on his phone, he finally tracked us down after a 10 hour bus journey from Vientiane. Give that man a Beer Laos!!! For the last day of Pi Mai, we geared him up as a Falang Ranger - boy, did he look right at home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Someone call for a Beer Laos breakSomeone call for a Beer Laos break
Someone call for a Beer Laos break

Steve and Millsy decide to reload and recharge


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb