Welcome to "Lao-Lao Land"


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North » Muang Ngoi Neua
April 9th 2006
Published: April 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Both of us are feeling a bit fuzzy this morning after celebrating last night with food, Beer Laos and Lao Lao (Laos whiskey made from rice, tastes a bit like sake). In Sydney I would be lying in front of the telly trying to get over my hangover whilst Steve would be playing computer games; here we sit looking at the Nam Ou river, eating rice soup and drinking Lao coffee. Instead of the TV we are watching the villagers prepare in excitement for the Boat races tomorrow at Nong Kwai.

Muang Ngoi have a team entered for the event but not enough money to attend. So yesterday they invited foreigners (Falangs) who are staying in the village to participate in a boat race to help raise funds. We were supposed to go kayaking but thought it would be fun to take part in the event! In the end there were only 4 of us, but it was still great fun! There was "Team West" (Steve, me and our steerer "Goi") and the "French Team" (Denise from Quebec, Moise from Le Mans and their steerer). In our wooden long boats we raced about 300m along a stretch of the river in front of cheering villagers. There were 2 races and Team West won both! The last was won by a hair but we were very happy with the result! The villagers invited us that night to celebrate with Laos music, food and dance. Mun (the bloke who arranged the event and the official English spokesperson for the village) translated the speech by the Head Man of the village (Mr Pui) who thanked us for our support of the community and that we would always be welcome back to the village at any time. It was all very special. They gave us beers, which in turn, as is tradition, we would offer back to them which has to be downed in one. They gave us Lao Lao (this stuff is over 50% proof) which we could not refuse and also had to down in one. The night progressed with much traditional dancing ( I danced with the Head Man twice 😉 until Laos curfew (11pm). A very fun night indeed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Picture of the village from the waterPicture of the village from the water
Picture of the village from the water

Our bungalow is at the top right of the stairs


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb