Smallest town yet in our trip to Asia


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
December 10th 2006
Published: December 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I've been looking forward to being in Luang Prabang as it is much smaller than other cities we've visited so far. However, it is larger than I thought--quite spread out. It's at the confluence of the Nam Khan (Khan River) and the Me Khong (Khong River), yes the same river talked about during the Vietnam War.
We arrived by plane from Chiang Mai to 30 degree heat and bureaucracy. We had to line up for our visa to enter Laos. We noted on the list that Canadians are charged more than anyone else. What did we do to tick of the Laotian Government? Even Americans have to pay $35 each--for us: $42 each. Robin gave the officer $100 US bill and got back $14. When he questioned this incorrect change, the man quickly put up a sign: "OVERTIME AFTER 16.30: $1". We just laughed and laughed. What can you do?
Some things here are very expensive ;($5 for a 15 minute ride to the airport) but $1 to rent a bicycle for a whole day!
Food is varied--still some French influence, so we get good baguette and pastries. I have to watch the Laotian food for spiciness.
We found a very nice, new guest house Zang Keo (=Glass Elephant) for $15/night. No TV or AC, but private bathroom and lovely outside shared terrace. Deep eaves to shade the building from heat. We shower several times a day to keep cool and dry.
On the 9th, we spent an idyllic afternoon tubing down the Nam Khan. For $5 each we were driven in the back of a truck upriver and accompanied by 2 very pleasant staff members (one of whom had lived in Ontario 10 years, so spoke excellent English). The 4 of us drifted lazily, and over some rapids too for 3 hours. It was so interesting to observe all the activity along the river: intensive crop plantation to take advantage of irrigation, most of which is done by hand. Workers walk up and down the bank, filling their watering cans. Also, many workers were shovelling stones, gravel, and sand out of the river on to long boats, then on to the shore, then on to trucks for all the construction projects around Luang Prabang. Such hard work!
Everyone smiled and called back SABAIDEE! when we greeted them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb