Chaos in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Pakxe
May 31st 2008
Published: May 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Something strange is happening to meSomething strange is happening to meSomething strange is happening to me

The hot and humid climate, maybe too much rice and noodles, maybe the spider I ate recently has make my hair grow in a strange way. I might contact the local doctor soon.
Good to see you popped in to check the latest news of our "World Amazing Discoveries Adventure Trip". Guess u r fine and everything's under control in your place, hope the daily business doesn't suck all your energy and power, try to keep a portion for the happy hours.
With smiles on our faces and some teardrops in our eyes we crossed the border from Cambodia to Laos recently. You can feel the much slower pace immediately, this country seems still to be in a kind of suspend mode .. let's cross fingers that it will stay like this for quite a while.
After some hassle in Vietnam and Cambodia we very much appreciate the calm atmosphere in laid-back Laos. We stayed the first 2 days on a stunning small island near the border called Don Khon where one easily get used to basic life, no electricity, no TV, no internet, no cars, one start to feel a bit like Robinson Crusoe, coconuts for breakfast for lunch and even for dinner.
We decreased our pace, roaming around slowly, inhaling the beauty and the flavour of that diverse country which had suffered so much during the french colonization, the thai and japanese
5 star de luxe with swimming pool5 star de luxe with swimming pool5 star de luxe with swimming pool

... that's what we booked in the internet. And this is what we finally got. But a morning bath in the Mekong river, the mother of all south east asian rivers, pays it all off.
occupation and the two Indochine wars.
Tomorrow we try to catch a glimpse of the Bolevan Plateau in the south east. Did you know that the world best coffee is growing there ... for sure Columbia, Brasil, Bolivia and last but not least Hawaii does not like to hear that. Well, we'll find out.
So far so good ... sorry for the spider picture in our last report, didn't want to terrify you. Wasn't so delicious, it neded loooads of ketchup to swallow it.
In that very moment another heavy rainfall has started in f*** paradise ... we better run ... Bye bye 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Angkor What ???Angkor What ???
Angkor What ???

Strolling around with our handmade bicycles, we were suddenly attracted by this huuuge temple complex. Somebody told us, it's supposed to be the biggest in the world. And yes, it's nice ... and ... big BUT by far not as beautiful as the cathedrale in Cologne.
How many wheels do one needHow many wheels do one need
How many wheels do one need

to drive a car ? Actually this question became serious after the 2nd flat tyre on the way to the Cambodia-Laos border. P-a-t-i-e-n-c-e is important and they will fix it somehow withoutthe shadow of a doubt.
It's natural and organicIt's natural and organic
It's natural and organic

We ordered fresh coconut juice and received the best drink ever. Couldn't believe our eyes when mom was climbing up the palmtree to pick the coconut -no kiddin'- The drops on the floor is not the wee of the little man by the way, though itleft a sour note on our tongues.
Beerfest in Phnom PenhBeerfest in Phnom Penh
Beerfest in Phnom Penh

We are celebrating Irina's new identity after she received her new temporar passport and Visa. Prost !!!


31st May 2008

Big hugs from Cologne
Hallo Ihr Beiden, schön, dass weiterhin alles ok ist bei euch. Ich habt aber Recht, "life sucks, somtimes", vor allem, wenn man sich ständig von dem ach so "normalen" Stress mitreissen lässt. Ansonsten steht Kölle noch, auch wenn im Moment hier die Welt untergeht (Regen, Blitz und Donner). Haltet die Ohren steif und bis bald. Gerd und Alex von der Bachemer 173

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb