Kayaking


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
June 16th 2014
Published: June 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello readers!



Well as you know from my previous blog Paddy, Pauline, Boon and I decided to get up early to watch the England vs Italy game (wish I had stayed in do bed now lol). I met Pauline in reception, Boon was a no show, light weight, and Paddy had headed off early, must have been excited to,watch the game, strange for a Irish man lol. So Pauline and I headed up,to the bar and met Paddy there. I thought there would be more Brits there but I guess it was too,early for the party animals and youngsters lol. I won't dwell on the out come of the game as we all know the result!



After the game we headed back and I tried to get some sleep but it was no good so I got up and got ready for our full day of kayaking on the Mekong around some of the 4000 islands.



We had to meet at 8.30am but met a little earlier so we could give our feed back forms to Boon and say our goodbyes as he was heading off back home. He had arranged our ferry and bus tickets to Cambodia so we were now flying solo! I also took a phot of some cows taking an early morning dip in the Mekong lol.



We walked down the street to meet our guide and then had breakfast, which was included, at the appointed restaurant. We were given life jackets and dry bags, but I had my own so didn't bother to use there's rooky mistake 604 there!



We met up with the others on our trip and headed to the dock to get on to our kayaker, two to each one. Pauline went with the guide and I teamed up with Paddy. In total there were 4 boats in our party. Also heading out were two other groups, in in yellow and one in red kayaks, ours were green. Each group headed out separately but during the day we all ended up at the same place at the same time.



It was a nice hot sunny morning and all was well in the world. All was going fine for a while, although we were the last in our group, but we did come a cropper a few times when we didn't paddle/ steer correctly and ended up in some of the bushes that were growing in the river in the narrower parts. All very funny and comedy moments, except when some wee beasties decided to hitch a lift! In open water we were fine but when negotiating the bends in the river and little islands of vegetation we didn't do so well. We weren't the only ones to have problems though which was a comfort in a way.



However we made it safe and sound to our first port of call. We all disembarked and hauled our kayaks onto dry land and then walked through a small village and saw some locals gutting the fresh fish they had caught that morning. We walked about a mile or so and had to cross a wooden bridge which rocked as you walked across and only about 5 People were allowed on at a time! So of course it was nice and safe lol.



I have to admit the falls were some what underwhelming and in the heat and humidity of the day it's a lot of effort for little return. We stopped there for about 15 - 20 minutes and then headed back to the kayaks. We walked back to a different point and the kayaks had been moved via tractor from point A to point B. This time Paddy was captain if the ship lol.



Again we were going ok until yet again we ran into vegetation so I'm glad it wasn't just me. We got to a place in the river where the leader had pulled over and was telling us we had to pull over too which we tried to do. We landed in some greenery again and ehen we got our selves out of it we tried to paddle against the current but ot was too strong. The dude kept screaming at us to stop but we were helpless. I think it was because ahead of us one of the yellow canoes had over turned and we may have got caught up in the recovery operation? However, we were helpless against the fat moving current and we were approaching some 'rapids' not the white water kind but still rapids per say.



Unfortunately we couldn't stop despite our best efforts and end ended hitting the rapids side on and the kayak over turned and we spilled out. We birth went under the water and came ip gasping for air. I tried to hang on to the kayak but I couldn't get to it in time and was panicking about trying to stay afloat even though I had a life jacket on, not get carried away by the current, which In hindsight may gave been the best option and checking my camera was still safe round my neck and the waterproof pouch I had it in had not leaked. I managed to hang on to so of the shrubbery growing in the river and I was trying to keep my head above water as I was tasking Mekong water in board lol.



I lost my grip on the firstborn of vegetation and started to float away and then grabbed hold of some more and want moving and held on for dear life against the current. Paddy and our kayak had disappeared. The instructor and Pauline came to my rescue and I rather unceremoniously climbed on board the kayak and laid prone on the top with my head graving Pauline's crotch! Lol however I didn't care I was just happy to be safe and alive and able to breath. A very scary experience I can tell you !!!



I was concerned about Paddy too as although he had his life jacket on he couldn't swim and I didn't know he was ok. Once on board the kayak the instructor paddled back up stream and wandered through some vegetation to rescue our abandoned paddle. Once the mission was completed band I had turned around so I was facing the front we paddled down stream to find that Paddy was safe and sound, however he had lost his flip flops, water and sunglasses. The two former items were no secured down but the dry bags had been. However it transpires my dry bad was not so dry and everything inside I was water logged including my phone. There was nothing I could do at the time so I had to wait to survey the damage when we got to dry land.



I climbed back on to our kayak and we set sail again in to open water where we waited to see if we could see fresh water dolphins. We were in luck but they were quite far away so we could only see them briefly as they came up for air, we saw may be 5 or 6 of them.



We then headed for dry land and lunch. My bag was full of water so I gave paddy my water logged purse and money and my phone to him to warp up in a towel until we got back. Lunch was fried rice a baguette, chicken and veggie kebab and water melon. During lunch it started to rain but it went off after about 20 minutes and it wasn't too heavy. Then it was back on board for more paddling.



Once we set sail paddled for about 30 minutes in open water and then hit dry land again. This time we had to haul the kayaks out of the water and up the slope so that they could be loaded on to a tuk tuk. Now looking at the number of kayaks and the tuk tuk and the specialist transport it didn't look like they would all fit. The red ones were loaded on to the specialist transport along with the participants and headed off leaving us behind with a nit of a dilemma. Too many people and kayaks for one tuk tuk. The kayaks had to. E liked high on top and secured firmly and also in the back and we all had to clamber in as best as we could and squeeze in. The two tall guys in our group and the instructor had to stand on the back and hang on.



We then headed to the big waterfalls which was about a 30 minute drive away. By this time the sun had gone the clods were gathering and rain was ore predicted. We walked up to the waterfalls which were wide rather than tall and were very powerful and loud. We did the obligatory tourist shots, bought a magnum ice cream and headed back to our tuk tuk. By this time I was tired, hit and sticky and still wandering around in wet smelly clothes and had lost the will to live. I then found our we had more paddling to do, oh joy!



So after the waterfalls we headed bs k to the river on the wAy back the heavens opened, we had to drop the sides of the tuk tuk down and wriggle up inside so the tall guys could take shelter from the rain. The rain did ease off and when we got to the final road down to the river we had to all climb out and walk in the rain. We were all too heavy for the tuk tuk to drive along with all the kayaked so something had to give and it was us. The middy rad was full of pot holes and muddy water and the suspension just couldn't take the combined weight of 14 people. It was an experience and entertaining and adds to my travel tails lol.



Then it was the final leg of our journey beck to Don Det across open water so we were safe lol. That took the last of my energy and we were so pleased to be back. We docked and took,the paddles and life jackets back to the office. I collected by soggy belongings from Paddy the 3 of us arranged to meet up for dinner at 7pm.



I headed back dumped my wet stuff and took a shower. Once clean and dry I surveyed the mess of water logged times, the phone was dead somimpopped to see a guy in the village who runs Adams cafe and an internet place to ask for advice. He took the back off and the battery out and said to put it in a bag of rice for 3 days then fully charge it and fingers crossed it would work. Apparently it's not the water that kills it it's the fungus that can grow Inside it If it's not dried out fully. I also dried out my purse and paper money and let the air dry my camera sit had got a little misted up.



We met up for tea and chatted about our day and the events and our lovely sunburn from the sun in the morning and other stuff including the football as Frances were due to play in the morning and Pauline was going to watch the game. She wasn't leaving Don Det until 11am but we were leaving at 8am. I then headed to bed as I was knackered! An early start and near drowning experience can do that to you (Slightly over dramatic I know lol)



Xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1673s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb