Pakse, 400 Islands and Vientianne again!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
February 13th 2009
Published: March 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well Pakse was a pretty dull town and if we hadn't just got off a 10 hour bus journey(that was meant to be on a bus with beds - which was what we had paid for - but when we arrived at the bus station in Vientiane, we quickly realized that we had been scammed and it was just a regular uncomfortable bus) from Vientiane then we probably wouldn't have bothered staying the night...i think the only excitement w got whilst there was finding a local supermarket where we purchased all sorts of teeth rotting goodies followed by meeting some monkeys on our way back to the hotel(sadly though the poor little feckers were all tied up...if it wasn't for fear of being bitten would have set them free)...After our dull stay there, which was mostly comprised of sleeping we headed further down south to 4000 islands. We stayed on the smallest of the 3 inhabited islands which was called Don Det. Here we would be back to basics in a simple hut alongside the Mekong river and we would lounge in hammocks, explore some of the surrounding islands, sight some of the almost extinct "Irrawaddy" dolphins and spectacular waterfalls and watch a manic boat race which took place to celebrate Laos National day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 219, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1088s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb