4000 Thousand Islands?!?


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Don Det
March 21st 2014
Published: April 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Next stop Don Det.



Paradise indeed...



South of Laos near the Cambodian border where the Mekong River split into thousands of little islands. It is believed that there are 4000 little islands. Thus this area is called 4000 island. There are three major islands that attracts tourism: Don Khong, Don Det and Don Khon. Don Det and Don Khon are pretty much right next to each other. Don Det has a backpacker vibe while Don Khon offered more scenery. Somphamit Waterfall can be found on Don Khon. There are also dolphins on Don Khon! Who knew? I thought dolphins were inhabitants of the sea. I didn't get a chance to check out Don Khong, but I heard it appealed more towards the older crowd.






"After hanging out with Jamie for a couple of days, I'd learned a couple of life's lessons. First is to not settle for anything you don't want. No matter how long the bus ride was or how tired you are and how much it is raining. Jamie is a strong assertive woman and she asserts herself to get what she needs. Much admiration for that. And of course bargain. Bargain, Bargain, Bargain. The last lesson is an ironic one. Don't make immediate assumptions and judgements of anything, place or person before you get to know the truth and experience it/them."
Journal Entry: 03.23.2014
"As I stood in front of the lake and the sun slowly sets behind me, I realized that Western culture could learn the simplicity of life from Laotians. There are no traces of pain and misery on their faces. Everyone just accepts life as it is and are living in the present moment. Carefree. That is zen. The desire to make life into more than what it is, is the cause of suffering..."
Journal Entry: 03.26.2014










The infamous Pumpkin Kabobs:



Pumpkin Kebobs wrapped in tortilla. I could have sworn I was still in L.A.



Island Egg and Hash.



Somphamit Waterfall:






Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

WagonWagon
Wagon

The inside of the wagon (group taxis) that we took to the dock.
One night stopOne night stop
One night stop

We stopped in a nearby town for the night before hitching a boat to the island. It was pouring as we got of the group taxi. I just followed the girl I met at the bus station in Tha Kaek with to the guesthouse.
Boat rideBoat ride
Boat ride

The boat ride from the dock to the island was around 1hr-1:30hr


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb