The Boloven Plateau - wonderful waterfall world


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Bolaven Plateau
May 17th 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

The tuk tuk drivers were quite fierce and we got the impression straight away that there are a lot of people here trying to make money from not a lot of tourists. After looking at about 6 different rooms we settled on the Hotel Sala Champa which looks lovely but is pretty soulless (another lonely planet recommendation!). We spent the day trying to sort onward transport and accommodation and to book a trip to the nearby Boloven Plateau for the next day. After much to-in and fro-ing and some very high prices (£120 quid for a trip to a waterfall with our guesthouse!!!??) we sorted ourselves a local guide for the next day. Our first stop was a small tea plantation and wewalked through the plants and tried the tea which was pretty good considering it was tea!! Then we went to see Tad Fane waterfall which was amazing but it was a long way down to the bottom so admired it from a lovely café at the top. From here we went to a coffee plantation which totally confused me, I always thought coffee beans were inside seed pods, you learn something new everyday eh!! Then we went to Tad Miang waterfall which was gorgeous. There was a lovely park around the top of the falls then it was a set of very steep steps down for the best view! We made it down and then I foolishly managed to get my flip flop trapped in between the bamboo bridge thing and then as I tried to pull my shoe out the bamboo snapped and my leg went sailing down into the abyss!! Luckily tel was close by and I made a very hasty retreat back up the steps!! Eventually my heart stopped beating very fast and tel managed to stop laughing, I say it was a near death experience, he just thinks its hilarious!!! From here we went to …..yes another waterfall, there are six around here but we decided to limit ourselves to three! Tad Paxuan was pretty impressive and was located in a kind of heritage park where there was a tribal village. We walked around the village and met some of the people who lived there, the two ladies in full costume were incredible just so small and perfect, like something from the discovery channel! There was also a wicked tree house in the village that you could sleep in, not sure if I’m quite brave enough for that though after my near death bamboo experience!!!!!! From here we made our way back to Pakse and booked our ticket for a boat along the Mekong to Champasak in the morning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

A lady doing traditional weavingA lady doing traditional weaving
A lady doing traditional weaving

Naturally it was rude not to buy something!!
Laos houses may be small Laos houses may be small
Laos houses may be small

but their satellite dishes are huge!!


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 16; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb