Katou Minority Village


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » South » Bolaven Plateau
April 9th 2007
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Animist Village



The last leg of the tour was the animist village, after the most disgusting lunch I have ever eaten!!! picture this a mosquito ridden table, 4 scabby dogs, 2 fat pigs, 1 even fatter puppy, 2 flea ridden kittens all randomly jumping up on the table, wrapping themselves round your leg, sniffing your food.....topped of by the most god damn awful food ever...cold soup with soggy vege floating round in it and soggy rank rice with some brown stuff inside that is apparently called meat. I ate 5 bananas instead!

Anyway so we headed off to Katou Village which is an animist village. Animist is a culture where its all about the spirit, spirit in trees, ants, dogs, people everything. The most extreme cases don't work on the land as they don't want to kill the creatures in the land in the process. They also don't eat any meat.

These guys weren't quite so strict though. They ate meat for a start. But it was so surreal going to visit them. Some rules they live by are the guys are allowed 2-3 wives, the kids can choose whether or not they go to school! and they make coffins and store them under the house for when someone dies...morbid or what. Once someone dies they put them in the coffin, don't bury it but leave it outside the house. Then 15 years later they take the bones out of the coffin and put them in a jar!!! and then reuse the coffin.

From the pictures you think they are very poor but they aren't they just choose a very simple way of life. Every house had a huge satellite dish which was funny. Just take a look at the pictures...they weren't to tip top on cleanliness, the kids were so dirty! and the babies are allowed to smoke?!? They use this big bamboo pipe to smoke tabacco, had a few tugs on it myself..... Saw just one old person which was quite disconcerting and these people stay in the village all of their lifes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



20th May 2007

Hang in there mate!
Sounds like things are getting a little tough out there - and you are a very long way away from our little flat in 4 oaks! However I am following your journey facinated by the whole thing! Maybe you should carry some mace? the guy on the sleeper seemed creepy - Yac!

Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb