Muang Ngoi Neua Fishing


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North » Muang Ngoi Neua
November 13th 2008
Published: November 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrive at Muang Ngoi Neua at around lunch time. A small village set along side the Nam Ou river and at the foot hills of Mount Phaboom. There are restaurants come pubs along the river, with amazing views.
We all find a place to stay, then head on for lunch and beers. On the trip we met a few more people, one Croatian who lived in South Africa for 10 years but now lives in Canada, Sasha, another couple from the UK and Ireland, a Israeli girl, a Hungarian girl and Nina, who has been with us from Sapa.
While having lunch I ask the waiter where we can get some fishing line? I had bought hooks in Dien Bien Phu and was keen to fish. Chris, Sasha and I were up for fishing and beers. The waiter was more than happy to help and gave us more than enough line. Next it was time to find rods, we gather a few bamboo sticks and find a polystyrene plate to use as a cork. Bing and away we go. Next we needed worms, so we dig up some guy’s garden close to the rivers edge.
We fished and drank for about 2 and a half hour, lots of bits but no fish. Giving up hope, we start to pack it in. In the last few seconds I manage to catch a fish, a very small fish. Everyone happy someone managed to catch at least one, we make our way to the restaurant on the river to meet up with the girls. Linda is now on deaths door. Not well at all, a fever and coughing. Lucky for us, Nina is a doctor/pharmacist and had antibiotics for Linda. So Linda was in bed dying and I went on to join the guys for a few beers, checking in on Linda now and then to see she was OK.
As like every small village in Laos, the lights go off at a certain time, this village was no different. I think it was about 10pm but we managed to arrange candles and drank until about 1pm playing cards.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb