#12 - Trekking in North-Eastern Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North » Muang Ngoi Neua
January 28th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Laos village trek 371 secs
Muang Ngoi and surrounding villages, 25-28 January 2008

The villages we visited on a three-day trek from Muang Ngoi were absolutely amazing. Their skills, their commitment to their village and love of their neighbours, their resourcefulness and their motivation to not only survive but thrive in this isolated place prompted me to ask myself the question: Why are their equivalents in a so-called '1st World' nation like Australia so much worse off than those of this under-developed, poor nation? With no government 'assistance' or even true recognition, these people develop their own society and flourish!

Arriving in Muang Ngoi, the serene farming-come-tourist village on the Nam Oh River, we took a dozen steps out our front door and found a dirt cheap lunch and an enthusiastic guide willing to take us on a 3-day trek around the surrounding villages. Kai, owner and proprietor of Kai's Trekking, arranged to meet us bright and early the next day for the start of our greatest adventure to date.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Village blacksmithVillage blacksmith
Village blacksmith

This guy makes steel tools from leftover ordnance that he finds in the jungle.
BallgameBallgame
Ballgame

We were mesmerized. Firstly by the skill at which these guys played this kind of 'volleyball with the feet', and secondly how they found the energy after a full day's work collecting materials to build and repair their houses.
Village sceneVillage scene
Village scene

Between the chickens, dogs, pigs, ducks and babies, theres hardly room to put your feet!
Choosing my favouriteChoosing my favourite
Choosing my favourite

Only to have it served up for dinner within minutes.
SpiderSpider
Spider

One of thousands along the track.
GeneratorGenerator
Generator

What for? Charging their mobile phones, of course!
Trying the ball gameTrying the ball game
Trying the ball game

This is no hacky sack
KaiKai
Kai

Our fantastic and humble guide


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb