Leaving Laos, Luang Nam Tha to Chiang Rai


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » North » Luang Namtha
December 21st 2009
Published: December 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Akha braceletsAkha braceletsAkha bracelets

Liam found some Akha women getting ready to sell their wares before leaving Luang Nam Tha. Isabella bought some bracelets.
Sabaidee,

Time to leave Laos, it has been really enjoyable, from the style and sophistication of Luang Prabang, the beauty of Nong Khiaw and the change of pace and feel at Luang Nam Tha. The country is unspoiled by tourism and the people are delightful. I think we could have spent more time in Laos, but have missed the food of Thailand.

There was a guesthouse in the main street selling bus tickets. We inquired and they were about the same price as the bus station, so before dinner last night went to get them, and he said he thought he could get a van to take us to Huay Xia. We went back after dinner and he had confirmed it, he got the required ten people together and it was only 5000 Kip more, but no charge for Harry, so overall cheaper. This took over an hour off the trip, and much more comfortable than the bus.

The trip was windy and mountainous, a little rainy and the road terrible. the road is only about 2 years old, but large sections seemed to have got washed away in the rainy season. The views were good, although quite cloudy and misty. The kids slept a reasonable amount, and all had Kwells so that helped make them sleepy.

At Huay Xia we signed out of Laos (Lisa would love the Visa from Laos in the passport) and crossed the river into Thailand. We got a Sangthaew to the bus station in Chiang Kong, and had 15 minutes to go to the toilet and get some lunch, by now it was 12.45 and the bus was ready to go at 1.00. We piled onto the public bus off to Chiang Rai.

We arrived in Chiang Rai at about 3.30 and found some accommodation, really good and not expensive. After settling in, Liam and I got some drinks and nuts from 7eleven and we sat around for a while. We went out at about 5.30, the night markets were just setting up so we walked around town for a while. Chiang Rai didn't seem to have much character, a bit like any other city in Thailand.

We found a food court at the back of the market and everyone was able to get what they wanted. The food was good after Lao. We then walked the market, the handicrafts were not a patch on Laos, but still a number of nice pieces. The boys are getting a bit sick of the markets because it is mostly clothes and handicrafts, but not a lot for them to be interested in.

Isabella got some nice things, and has been having a good time. She bought an Akha hat which is quite cute, and walked around the market with it on. We went back and had a look around a temple across from our accommodation before bed.

Copjai.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



24th December 2009

Wishing you a Merry Christmas
Hi Everyone, Wishing you very Merry Christmas, Thinking of you all. We hope the day is special for you all what ever you may do. Look forward to seeing you all when you come home. Love Mark and Val xxxxxx :+)
24th December 2009

Happy Christmas
You guys are having an amazing experience and making wonderful memories for the kids. Have a Happy Christmas Day! Miss you. Doing a great job on the blog Dave.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb