Tokyo Arrival


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
May 18th 2016
Published: July 18th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.7146, 139.797

A thirteen hour flight and a little sightseeing in Asakusa , a Northern suburb of Tokyo.makes for a very long day. The city of Tokyo is very large and is broken up into four districts, North, East, South and West. Subway transportaion is required to sightsee in all four regions.There is a difference in time here from home. It is 13 hours earlier at home. Our shuttle from the Toronto Hotel to Pearson International Airport got us there in plenty of time in case there were delays in security like they are experiencing in the United States. Much to our delight we walked right through with not a single holdup. No lines at all. Our flight went well although there was some rough riding in spots that made Linda a little uneasy. We arrived in Tokyo around 3:40 The time we didn't spend in security lines this morning was more than doubled in Customs. It took well more than an hour to get through that process.

Our next challenge was to purchase tickets for the subway to take us to an area of Tokyo that we wanted to visit today. With not much trouble that was accomplished and we headed to Asakusa to see some of the sights we had listed to see there. By The time we arrived in the area it was already getting dark but the streets were very much alive with activity. Some of the shops were closing but streets were still filled with people. We started at the Kaminarimon Gate and walked down Nakamise Street to the Sensoji Temple. We also were able to view the Tokyo Sky Tower by night so were able to see it lit up.

Because of our long day in transit we decided to head over to our hotel, another adventure. We caught another subway train to a station nearest the hotel and then had to walk the rest of the way. We received some guidance from some very helpful Japanese shopkeepers and found our way rather easily. After a quick check in at 9:00 p.m. we went to a neighboring restaurant for some very good Japanese soup. It had onions, pork, carrots, scallions and some other vegetable that I'm not quite sure what it was. It hit the spot.

Tomorrow will be another busy day We plan to visit the Southern and Central districts of Tokyo.Maneuvering the subways and navigating the streets will be a challenge. Subway cars have English and well as Japanese interpretations. The city streets, however, are all in Japanese symbols.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



18th May 2016

Can you post pics of your food too? Jack and I are loving your blog
18th May 2016

Thanks for sending me the link to your travel blog Japan. The pictures are fascinating.
19th May 2016

Have a great time...try to get the recipes for the wonderful food you will eat...that soup you had sounded good!

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb