Nagasaki


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
March 15th 2017
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 32.75, 129.88

Unfortunately Nagasaki's is known for one of the two cities bombed in WWII and that is what most of the tours concentrated on. Actually, we wouldn't have missed it anyhow.

We finally got a nice sunny day. A little cool but dry and sunny is always nice.

We started our visit with a cable car ride to the top of Mt. Inasa. The view is nice. Although we were not there at night, the night view is supposedly one of the top three. Those being Nagasaki, Hong Kong & Monaco. We did 2 of the 3 on this cruise!

Next we travelled to the Peace Statue. Also in the area was a water fountain and various sculptures donated from around the world.

Last stop was the Atomic Bomb Museum and Hypo Centre. Not sure why we rode the bus between these sites since we could have walked (probably faster but some tourists would complain). In the museum were many twisted metal pieces and lots of pictures. I didn't take any. It didn't feel right to me. Across the street from the museum is "ground zero". The location where the bomb was detonated at a height of 500 ft to maximize the impact.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Peace Statue ParkPeace Statue Park
Peace Statue Park

What's left of a prison very close to bombing site
ChurchChurch
Church

Part of a church close near bomb site. A portion that was still standing and relocated here
Ground ZeroGround Zero
Ground Zero

Actual site after the bomb protected for all to see.
Ground Zero after bombGround Zero after bomb
Ground Zero after bomb

Left untouched


Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb