Our General Japanese experiences


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
September 7th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After all the negative rumours and hype about Japan, the hostility of the people, impossible transport, expense of travelling and the massive language barrier difficulties, well, day 1 squashed these rumours in seconds. An exciting, refreshing and friendly country, Japan welcomed us. After our inital cash flow problems, we changed dollars into Yen. ATM had to be found in Post Offices to withdraw Yen. Everyone helped us to find our hotel, circling maps and pointing us in the right direction. Hostile people, I don't think so! Happy smiling cheerful people. We expereinced modern day Japan alongside with the traditional during our stay.

Everywhere we looked was spotlessly clean, our rooms meticulously set out and even included a ladies wash kit. We stayed in business hotels which prooved cheaper than hostels and other local inns and guest houses. During our stay we experienced a variety of accommodation, hotels, guest houses, Roykan Inns with tatami rooms with futon beds, to Love Hotels check out at 10am and check back in at 4pm, we moved our luggage to get a cheaper deal. We also camped at Fuji for 5 days, enjoyed the outdoor country life rather than city neon and Tokyo backstreets.
Slippers for insideSlippers for insideSlippers for inside

Slippers are worn inside all hotels. When we went camping, we had to wear them into the toilet. A common Japanese custom.

I'd heard Japanese food was healthy and colourful, well it was both. There is also a range of speciality dishes for different regions of the country. "They" said I'd shed half a stone, well i think I've put on a pound! We've eaten, mainly rice and noodle dishes all quite tasty, usually served with a miso soup. Slurping and drinking from the bowl is not only the custom but it's the only way to finish your meal eating with chopsticks, which I've just mastered in time for China! We found paying for food via a vending machine with numbers corresponding to full scale plastic glazed replicas displayed in the window for passers by, a perfect way for a non speaker to order food! One such restaurant, we timed a local order, eat and slurp his vending machine meal 60 seconds for meal delivery and not much more to woof it down. Now that's what you call fast food! After 3 weeks we still can not explain chopped up raw cabbage leaves as a starter, at least we could identify it! Several times we entered sushi bars, not quite tempted by raw fish, we stuck to veg in a seaweed rice roll, very healthy.

Technology here has interestingly entered everyday life. From toilets to car parks, cars to supermarkets we found every modern day wants and wishes. Toilet seats that warm, spray fragrance, and automatically flush. Car parks where cars go up on an individual carrier as tall as a high rise building, need to see that to believe it! They even have automatic taps, soap dispensers, escalators, lights, hand driers, car ignitions and tills giving change to the cashier in supermarkets. The 'western style' toilets are especially great with remote control bottom spraying facility with varying speed and pulse!!

After 3 and half weeks we still have no idea upon the customs and language in Japan. We bow alot, nod our heads, wear slippers and smile - speechless.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Red BridgesRed Bridges
Red Bridges

These can be found in many towns and cities.
A traditional streetsA traditional streets
A traditional streets

These have to hunted out. So lovely and simple.
Sitting on the floorSitting on the floor
Sitting on the floor

Sitting on the floor, I'm sure makes people knocked kneed.
Sushi and green teaSushi and green tea
Sushi and green tea

Yes very common.
The squat toiletThe squat toilet
The squat toilet

Don't over balance or step into it on the way out!
Waiting for the Bullet TrainWaiting for the Bullet Train
Waiting for the Bullet Train

It was so hot, I had my sweat cloth to hand! The bullet train took us only 3 hrs from Kyoto to Tokyo! It felt like flying!


6th September 2007

she'll be coming down the mountain!
Hello Zoe and Phil, Fuji looks fabulous, fancy going all that way and not getting to the top!!! Only joking Zoe. We're very envious of your travels and makes us look forward even more to our trip to Mombassa in February. Our alpaca venture is geting off the ground at last and we now own 6 females 2 of which are crias (babies). The mobile home has arrived on site and the next thing to sort out is generator, treatment plant, gas and water. Still at the farm tho' paid rent until next June so have plenty of time to organise the complete move over. Need to build housing for the dogs (definitely not having 8 newfies in the mobile home even tho' it is 3 bedrooms, 2 loos etc.) Plans have been submitted so hopefully by the end of October we shall have our permission for agricultural occupancy. If not we're staying anyway!! Keep in touch it's lovely to see you both on your travels around the world. Lots of love Dad and Sue xx

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0905s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb