in the "ghetto" a.k.a. GERO


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

to start off, i'm actually writing this on the 21st since there was no internet access in gero, the small hot spring bath resort town in the mountains near nagoya.

we took a bullet train from tokyo to gero, which was definitely a slower paced area that was like being in the countryside. the "hotel" izumi-so was actually like a traditional japanese home in which we stayed in one big studio-like room with mats on the floor, and nothing but a tv, a mini-fridge, and a table with 4 chairs by it. at night, the table in the middle was moved to the large closet and beds were set up made out of a matress and blankets. but actually was more comfortable (in my opinion) than the bed in tokyo which was too stiff. down the hall were communal hot spring baths which had little stools and shower heads next to it. this area was supposedly where you took a bath first, before soaking in the hot springs (which were REALLY REALLY HOT).

after arriving in gero, we walked around the sleepy little town around the inn. people in the shops were extremelly nice to us and very grateful when you purchased anything. one shopkeeper (in the picture) was so grateful she kept giving us free stuff just because we patronized her store. then we went back to the inn which was FREEZING. the woman who seemed to run the entire inn (she picked us up from the train station in her own little personal car and showed us around) brought dinner to our room at 6pm. it was a very traditional meal, complete with 2 different kinds of fish, both with eyes still intact. a little too traditional for my taste but everyone else seemed to like it. after dinner, we went to the hotsprings to take a bath. i personally don't like being naked in front of everyone and when other women walked in found the whole thing to be a little weird. the hot springs were super hot too. overall, i think it was a good experience but one night was definitely enough for me.

read the next day's post....

shelby is reading what i wrote and laughing at my bad grammar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb