Last night and leaving Tokyo


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
April 25th 2004
Published: April 25th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Very lazy day, well, more of a recovery day I suppose.  Also my last day, and it’s making me very sad.  I really don’t want to leave Japan… I’ve had such a wonderful time, and I feel that for the most part I could just hang out at the guest house all day and have a good time.  In the short time I’ve been here, I’m quasi pro at telling people where to go and what to do when they arrive at the house.  Strange feeling that, especially when I don’t even really know where to go and what to do in Vegas.  MJ asked me into his office in the afternoon, he wanted to talk to me about something.  Didn’t know what to make out of that, and thought there might be some last minute problem with my accommodation, or something.  Ended up he wanted to talk to me about the guest house, my thoughts on what could be done to improve things, and what I did and didn’t like.  I haven’t really seen or heard him do that with anyone else while I’ve been there, so I thought that was a little unusual, in a complimentary way.  We ended up talking for well over an hour and he was pretty responsive to my ideas and suggestions. 



Later in the evening, Me, Ryan and one of the aussies whose name I just can’t remember went out for food.  I really wanted to go back to the curry place that Graham and I went to, but I’ll be damed if I could find it.  So we went to a noodle soup place, figured I really should have a bowl of noodles that didn’t come in a cup from the shop while I was here.  I had some kind of pork noodle thingy, wasn’t too bad, then we sat there and chatted for quite some time.  I was doing a majority of the talking, g going on about everything I’m going to miss, and let me tell you, this list isn’t short.  But I got lots of agreement from both parties, and I’m so jealous of Ryan for being able to stay for so long… I think he has 2 or 3 more weeks.  I wouldn’t be shocked if I hear from him in a month or so and find out he’s going to marry Fumi. 

I had wanted to go spend one last night on the town, but Yumi suggested we stay in and party, since it would be a lot cheaper.  Looking back at it, that was the best idea of the day.  Almost everyone stayed in, and we all sat around drinking, talking, laughing and joking, and it didn’t cost a hundred bucks.  Among the entertainment for the night was watching crazy Japanese tv shows, going through pictures on my website, Taka giving me his new Japanese porno magazine and insisting on showing me around all the Japanese websites I can visit, lots of flirting… mainly by me to Yumi, to which every compliment came a “thank you… thank you very much” which I am going to miss so damn much!!!!   Yumi and I ended up drinking everyone to bed, and then went to bed ourselves at about 5:30am.  I was very sad to say goodnight, I knew I wouldn’t see Yumi before I left, but made sure to get her phone number & email addresses.  I think I’ll be spending a lot of time talking to her and Kiwako and practicing Japanese and maintaining the friendships I’ve made. 



A few hours sleep, and I was up again and getting ready to leave.  I’ll be honest with you, from the time I woke up, to me currently writing this on the plane, I’ve been fighting back the tears.  Tears of what though?   Tears of leaving new found friends?  Tears of leaving a country of people I’ve totally fallen for?  Tears of having to go back to work?  I’m not quite sure, but in the tradition of my trip, a Japanese guy started talking to me on the train.  I was reading my phrase book, and he asked me if I’m learning Japanese.  Then he asks me why I like Japan and Japanese people so much, and as I’ve told each person that has asked me the same question, I give my response.  The people made my trip.  Not the sights, not so much the smells or the sounds, although they’re all a part of the package deal, but the people.  Everything about each one that I met, and saw interact on the street, and amongst each other.  Their generosity, their love, their traditions, their everything!!!  So you get the picture right, I really enjoyed myself and I’m going back as soon as possible.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb