Days 13-15: September 29-October 1, 2009

Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
October 1st 2009
Published: October 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Days 13-15: September 29-October 1, 2009

On the 29th, we went and figured out our placement test results. I got into Japanese 3, which I was a little disappointed about, but then I figured, since I hadn’t finished IJ yet, it was probably appropriate. Then we went to our advising session, where the man told us that he had no clue what he was supposed to do, we didn’t register until the 2nd, and we should all just leave. Nice waste of around $7 to get there…

I did nothing on the 30th. I cooked dinner, and was completely lazy besides that. It was wonderful

October 1st is my first day of school. So I leave a bit early so that I know I’ll get to school on time and partake in my first crowded morning train experience. I’m pretty sure I was felt up by an old lady… several times. And then the train stopped for an ungodly amount of time in Ikebukuro, but I left early, so I don’t sweat it too much. Then I go to classes. I’m pretty sure my Korean History professor likes to ramble a lot, but the class seems interesting enough. My Japanese teacher seems pretty awesome too; she kept cracking jokes the whole time, so it made me feel less nervous. I didn’t know if I wanted to take the Japanese Cinema class or not, so I went just to check it out --just like the other 100 people that were there… I didn’t think I was going to take it, but now I think I will. I’ll have to actually come to school on Wednesdays to see the movies, but I have virtually no knowledge of popular Japanese things, so it’ll be good for me. I try to go to the bookstore to buy my Korean History books, which they don’t have (I’ve already got my Japanese, and my Cinema class doesn’t require books), and the I decide I’m exhausted, and want to go home.

Today was not to be the best of train days for me, it turns out… Apparently there was a message playing throughout the train station that, yet again, the train I was to take would be delayed in the station. Not knowing this, I see my train pull up and I jog to catch up to it. I see this Japanese guy behind me doing the same, so I figured I was doing the right thing. Then I sit down, and this guy just keeps saying “I’m sorry” over and over again, so I scoot over because I think he needs to sit down. Then, as he keeps saying he’s sorry, he points at his shoes as if he wants to see mine, so I show him my shoes, and then he walks off… I’m thoroughly confused at this point. So my delayed train continues to sit there, and my mysterious, shoe-obsessed Japanese guy comes back, again, saying he’s sorry over and over again, and points at his shoes like he wants to see mine again, so I show him, and then he gestures like he wants to see my socks, so I show him, and then he wants to see my back pocket, so I show him, and finally he leaves, looking accomplished at texting on his phone. I have no clue what happened, it was the weirdest thing that’s happened to me yet, and I don’t know quite what to feel about it… I hate trains.

We finally make it back. I need to go grocery shopping, but I’m too tired. I grab a corn dog on the way home and eat that for dinner; I still have a pear left if I get hungry later… Today was just too weird for me to venture out anymore…

And I don’t have any pictures for these days either, sorry guys.


Tot: 2.692s; Tpl: 0.079s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.042s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 3; ; mem: 1.3mb