It's Raining Yen


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
March 2nd 2006
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tokyo time 9:35am

We are currently on the shinkansen (the bullet train) headed from Tokyo to Hiroshima and the scenery is whizzing by. It’s a diverse mix of seascape, mountains, agricultural land, and high density homes and businesses. Every flashing vista is different.

Last night we landed in Tokyo, cleared immigration and customs, retrieved our bags, obtained cash and left the airport by 6:00 pm. By the time, we took the train into Tokyo, changed lines to the Ikebekuro station and located our hotel 2.5 hours later, it was cold and rainy and we were exhausted and hungry. We don’t recommend arriving in a new country during a rainstorm as it makes you wonder how out of your mind you were when you decided this trip would be fun. Neither one of us was in a good mood as we walked, soaking, trying to find our hotel without the benefit of street signs (Tokyo doesn’t appear to be too big on street signs). The rain-proof pack covers have already demonstrated their usefulness, as have our Gore-Tex rain coats. The Krispy Kreme cap Roger wore to keep the rain off his glasses, which someone did not want him to bring…,
Our bedsOur bedsOur beds

Surprisingly comfortable
has also demonstrated great utility in the first 24 hours of our year abroad.

We stayed at House Ikebekuro which was fine - Japanese style rooms, shared bathrooms and showers and no heat beyond the confines of our room. Thankfully, the toilet seat was heated. You know how some mornings the penetrating cold of the toilet sends shivers deep into your soul? A heated bum is initially just as shocking, but immediately evolves in to a delight. The room was only $50, which for Tokyo is quite a find.

After putting our bags in our room and attempting to air dry a bit, we walked back to the train station to reserve a seat on the train to Hiroshima and to find a bite to eat. The restaurant we ate at was next to our hotel and had 6 seats at a bar with no menu in English and no pictures to point at. Amy was ready to give up but Roger patiently tried to communicate that we wanted noodles (not having any clue what they actually served). The chef was very nice and found a picture book, pointed at a bowl of ramen, we nodded enthusiastically and he prepared our meal to look just like the picture - pickled egg and spam slice included. We’d love to recommend it but have no idea what it was called.

After eating, we went back to the hotel, left our hiking boots at the front door and caught up on some much needed sleep before our 6:30 am wakeup. The Japanese style of leaving one’s footwear in the public doorway definitely keeps the floors clean, but does not appeal to our American sense of protecting our goods. Roger might have felt better about it had he not had to wear the “house slippers” available upon removal of one’s shoes. Apparently they only come in “petite” and “super-petite uncomfortable.” And they were all out of “petite.”



Advertisement



2nd March 2006

Love the slippers!! That's very good look for you Roger.
3rd March 2006

toliets
3rd March 2006

more toliet
The Google ads for this page are all about toliets. So good job on the content.

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 25; qc: 127; dbt: 0.1474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb