First Day Around the World


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
March 1st 2006
Published: March 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

PackingPackingPacking

Everything but the clothes
So we’re finally off. As we type this we are flying over the Cherskogo Mountains in Siberia. We’ve spent the last week packing, repacking, moving our remaining things in to storage, saying our good-byes and eating the things we will miss (Hi, Fuddrucker’s!).

The various miracles of technology have enabled us to type this as we fly as well as to watch two episodes of The Office that we downloaded. Forty minutes of TV may not seem like a lot, but the in-flight movies included The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which is almost as bad as Bio-Dome with Pauly Shore (international law prohibits the showing of Pauly Shore movies). Babe, Pig in The City is up next.

Our flight departed Chicago around noon local time and have had nothing but sunshine outside the window the entire trip. We will arrive in Tokyo at 4pm local time the day after we departed O’Hare. We have essentially misplaced an entire night. This time of year, and maybe all times of the year, Siberia is a rolling sheet of stark white ice and snow. There are no clouds and the light coming through out portal is almost painfully strong.

We are
PackingPackingPacking

Progress
traveling with three backpacks, a large men’s pack, a large woman’s pack, and a smaller backpack that holds our laptop and various other bits of technology and paperwork. The largest backpack weighed in at just over 28 pounds, the woman’s pack at just under 20. We have divided up the various pieces of hardware, medical supplies, toiletries and other incidentals. The complete packing list is attached for your perusal.
We are also traveling with a pair of purses - a purse and a murse. These will be our featured wallets, holding paperwork essentials, small journals, and the odd toiletry.

Tonight we will sleep in Tokyo and tomorrow depart for Hiroshima. We will make a stop in Kyoto for a few days on our way back to Tokyo where we will wrap up our brief experience in Japan.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



2nd March 2006

So glad to hear from you
I am glad you wrote this. It helps me adjust to you not being in DC. I love you.

Tot: 0.479s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 30; qc: 134; dbt: 0.3324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb